Thursday, October 23, 2008

All Good Dogs Go to Heaven, Right?

Smokey (April, 1994 - October 22, 2008)

Such a sad day yesterday. It was a decision we hoped we would never have to make, but it seemed that life was being prolonged beyond what was tolerable, if not for Smokey who was stoic to the end, certainly for us. It was so sad to watch him lose his dignity. He could no longer walk, see, or hear. But even to the end, he did his best to control his bowels until he just couldn't anymore. And then he lost his will to eat. He was always such a good boy. We did our best to make sure he knew that he was not a burden.

Smokey was much loved by everyone who met him, but nobody could have loved him more than his best friend, my husband. Smokey went everywhere with his best friend. To work. To church. To the East Coast. To the West Coast. And all points in between. He loved the ocean and chasing birds on the beach. He also loved playing in the snow.



We hoped one day that he might go sailing with us. But more than anything, he loved just being with his best friend. He watched over him while he worked and somehow, I always believed that if my husband was injured on the job, Smokey would have known to get help.



He died peacefully in my husband's lap, on the seat of the work truck where they spent many hours together, under the large oak trees in a beautiful pet cemetery. We will spread his ashes somewhere on the Pacific Ocean.


I can't believe he's gone. My husband has been through a lot in life, but this was absolutely the hardest thing he has ever had to do. A part of him died with Smokey yesterday.

Good-bye, my friend. You will be missed more than you could ever know. Thank you for giving us so many great years. You amazed us with your intelligence and your temperament, your unconditional love and undying loyalty. We will never know another dog like you and you taught us so much.

Rest in Peace, Smokey. We'll meet you and Cocoa at the Rainbow Bridge.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, October 23, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sad for you and your husband. Hard as it is to say goodbye, Smokey knew how much you loved him and that's the thing to remember when you are missing him so much your heart aches.

Hugs to you both

 
At 12:59 PM, October 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray God is gracious and comforts as only HE can.

 
At 2:14 PM, October 23, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

Aw, so sad after the loss of Cocoa, too. I'm so sorry.

 
At 5:45 PM, October 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Gwynne -- I'm so sorry. What a great dog.

 
At 6:17 PM, October 23, 2008, Blogger beth said...

I'm so sorry, Gwynne. Dogs are such a wonderful glimpse into the love of the Father - faithful to the end.

 
At 9:02 PM, October 23, 2008, Blogger Lynellen said...

Many hugs to you and yours.

 
At 10:26 PM, October 23, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thank you all so much. While we have anticipated this day for almost a year now, Cocoa's unexpected passing left our threads a little bare. Nothing can prepare you for the final good-bye.

Beth, so true...that unconditional love and undying loyalty is God's work.

 
At 9:02 AM, October 24, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

I know you knew this was coming and I knew this was coming...still I'm over here crying. I'm so sorry for your loss, especially right after the loss of Cocoa. I know how hard it is when that presence that has always been right there beside you is gone. The grief is unrelenting when this is a presence that has always physically been there. My prayers are with you all.

 
At 12:54 AM, October 26, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Sisiggy, thank you. Yes, we knew it was coming but as you know, saying good-bye for the last time is still unbearable. It's strange and sad now, to come home to a dogless home.

 
At 9:51 AM, October 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Gwynne, my heart breaks for you and your husband. No words can bring comfort to fill a dog sized hole, but I hope you both find peace in the memories of such a sweet and faithful friend.

 
At 10:09 PM, October 27, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jennifer (and Brian)!! So nice of you to drop in. I miss reading your blogs. Hope all is well with you and your family. Thank you for your kind words. :-)

 
At 8:40 AM, October 28, 2008, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

Gwynne, I'm sorry I haven't been by here in a while (I haven't been anywhere in a while, for that matter), but I want to add my condolences to the others. Your loss is especially poignant at this time as we sense that Abbye is also starting to slip away from us. I dread the inevitable time that I'll have to share the bad news, but your tribute to Smokey will be an inspiration and reminder of the special place dogs have in our families.

 
At 10:31 PM, October 29, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, I dread the day you have to say goodbye to sweet Abbye. There is just no easy way to let go. Thank you for stopping by, and for your comforting thoughts.

 
At 9:57 AM, October 31, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Smokey, Gwynne. What a beautiful tribute to a special friend.

 
At 11:10 PM, November 05, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Gwynne! I grieve for y'all. I know how much you loved Smokey, and Cocoa.

Maybe they're both playing with the Zoie-girl at the Rainbow Bridge.

Beautiful eulogy, for a beautiful friend.

love from my house to yours - and love and lickies from zack and zanna...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home