Saturday, August 30, 2008

Politics and the Prince of Bel Air

I never thought this would turn into baby blog (typing with one hand because the other is holding Sparky), but here it is. So...while the rest of the world was watching Barrack deliver his acceptance speech, and hearing the morning news about McCain's choice of running mate...and what an interesting choice it was...


Exhibit A
via Verging on Pertinence

...I was enjoying an all night visit to the emergency room at Children's Mercy. Okay, "enjoying" might not be the best word. "Enduring" might be more like it. What started out as a day out for Julian, staying with his Great-Grammie while his mom took care of her own doctor's appts and job interviews, ended with a trip to the ER. The whole experience can be chalked up to a lesson learned: follow your instincts. Because in the end, there was absolutely no reason to go to the ER (except that vomiting and a fever in a tiny baby is very scary for a first time mother), let alone spend the entire night there. But, as I often tell my daughter, "boring (and unnecessary) is a good thing" when it comes to babies. And I do mean boring. Since Julian is an infant and the ER was filled with all sorts of kids with all sorts of ailments, we were shuffled off to our own private waiting room, with a teevee. And while I'm sure there was a way to change the channel, we never really attempted to do so and it seems there must have been a marathon running, of Prince of Bel Air episodes. Surely, this was no less exciting than Obama's acceptance speech.

But the more I hear about Sarah Baracuda, the more excited I become about this election. I really like her! And while she may not have much experience, her attitude and apparent leadership qualities are refreshing in a world that has been dominated by "typical" politicians. And now, with much ado about the fact that she has a daughter who is unwed and 5-months pregnant, I can truly relate to that aspect of her life. And seriously, does the main stream media realize how utterly stupid it looks running that story alongside Hurricane Gustav stories all day. Good grief.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, September 01, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Thus far, I like Sarah, as well.

Glad Spartacus is all right. I bet that had to be scary, what with his exciting start in life!

 
At 6:42 AM, September 02, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

If anything, the choice made me realize something: for the first time in my life, there is a chance the President of the United States could be younger than me...

Baby fevers are scary. My first son was eerily never sick, so when #2 spiked a fever that wouldn't burn out, I did the same thing. And I remember saying the same thing to Dirtman: "I can't believe we spent five hours in the ER and all it took was a dose of ibuprofen;" and Dirtman saying, "So -- you'd prefer that it was something tragic?"

 
At 9:11 PM, September 03, 2008, Blogger Bee said...

I like her too. A LOT. She has more experience being a "mini president" as gov of AK, than Obama as a Senator.

I think she has experience in all the right places for our country.

AMEN on stupid news.

PS. I just added you to blogger's new feature: Blogs I'm following. (aka Stalking You Proper)

 
At 8:52 AM, September 04, 2008, Blogger DarkoV said...

My hat's off to Gov. Palin on her delivery of Matthew Scully's speech. It seemed to thrill the moribund crowd who were waiting for Thursday night to finally come around so they could see the Giants-Redskins game on that huge screen in St. Paul.

I am confused though. The animal comparisons are getting to me. Last night she was a pit bull in lipstick. Prior to that she was a barracuda, a fish, I believe, that abides in the Caribbean. A mammal, a fish, I think a bird is next. I suggest the noble osprey.

Biden? Getting into the (VP cosmetics) act, he'll be the Rottweiler in Rouge.

Me? If either presidential candidate wins, I might have to check out that dual citizenship thing I've been playing with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home