Saturday, September 27, 2008

On This and That

On the debates: do we really ever learn anything new about the candidates by watching them "debate" (debate is in quotes because it seems nobody ever really answers/debates the questions, choosing instead to talk from a script they have rehearsed beforehand regardless of the questions)?

On text messaging: when a client arranges a meeting with you and is sitting in your office discussing tax matters, then picks up his crackberry and asks you if he has spelled "squirrell" correctly, is it any of your business to whom or about what they are writing?

On redundancy: I love my new upright bagless self-propelled vacuum cleaner, but when I went to dump the contents of the cannister (which indicated my previous vacuum was alarmingly deficient in the job of sucking up dirt if the volume of dirt, lint, hair and birdseed now in the cannister was any indication at all), dirt and debris fell all over the kitchen floor, requiring that I reassemble the vacuum in order to suck up that which had already been sucked up once. And now, I imagine my stats will increase dramatically based on this paragraph alone.

On death and dying: the goldfish, the one that almost died on April 15th, is dead. My daughter made me feel especially bad when she told me she bought it as a feeder fish when she was in the 5th grade (I took over care and feeding when she moved out last year). That would make the fish about 9 years old. She never had a name which surely proves that goldfish live longer when you don't name them. My husband, bless his soul, offered to cremate her...on the grill. I'm sure this would be acceptable in some parts of the world, but not in my house. We will conduct a proper memorial service and bury her in the back yard, in this heart shaped casket (it's about 8 inches wide for a little perspective):

Rest in Peace

And last (and least), on NASCAR: we're going to the races tomorrow. yippee.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, September 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Do all your clients read The Fire Ant Gazette, or just that one?

 
At 9:51 AM, September 28, 2008, Blogger Lynellen said...

Wow, that's a HUGE goldfish. I'm sorry he died.

Have fun at NASCAR!

 
At 8:09 PM, September 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, big fish. Nine years old? Oh my.

But why not the usual burial down the toilet?

 
At 6:34 AM, September 29, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

We were discussing over dinner that, unless you paid attention to politics prior to the candidates deciding to run, you really can't get at the truth on where they stand. And you figure in this election that "before time" was so long ago, it's hard to remember. My one son spouts the statistics du jour (it will be his first time voting), and it's always a tainted fact, whichever side it favors. Everything right now is based on spin and polls and nothing has any relation to what is actually going to take place after January 20.

I adore my Dyson. It's the first vacuum I've had that lasted more than a year and a half (all the dog hair -- we got it three years ago), still as powerful as the day we bought it.

Sorry about the fish...and about the NASCAR, that festival of turning right really fast(sorry...NASCAR stopped making sense when they took the booze out of the trunk...).

 
At 8:11 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jim, I came this close to asking him this...my Gazette coaster sits on my desk. ;-)

Lynellen, yes, HUGE! So sad. She struggled for a long time. Several times, I went to remove her from the tank (as she floated upside down for long periods of time) and she would swim away. But "fun" is not the word I would use for sitting in the hot, hot sun (in a silver "dish") watching roaring engines go round and round. 8-\

Beau, you know better than to ask that question. Actually, the answer might be because she was too big to go down without a fuss. ;-)

Sisiggy, very true. It's hard to know what's real and what's not. I looked at the Dysons and if not for the price (and the fact that I seem to replace my vacuum cleaners every two years) and the weight (I thought I wanted a lightweight machine so I could carry it up and down stairs easily), I was very impressed. Oh, but there is still plenty of booze in the trunk at our NASCAR track (not in our trunk, but other people's trunks...maybe that is why the spectacle is so agonizing).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home