Monday, January 28, 2008

10 Stress Reducers (From the AICPA Insider)

Words of wisdom, to help you all reduce the stress in your life. Sometimes, it amazes me what passes for wisdom. Other times, admittedly, we overlook the simplest things. So, without further ado, here are the 10 things you can do to destress your life:

First of all, prioritize. "We can only do one thing at a time." This was suggested by researchers at the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. It takes rocket science to figure this out? So much for multi-tasking, the nemesis of us all.

Focus on what you have accomplished..."rather than on all the things not yet done." I think this is the most important one on the list. At least in my little world, a few minutes of positive self-talk about what I've managed to get done goes a long way. It's why I always try to finish something or at least get to a good stopping point before I quit for the day.

Maintain a healthy and balanced diet. "Avoid sudden high intakes of sugar as it causes the blood sugar level to rise and then drop sharply, which can cause drowsiness; get regular exercise; drink plenty of water; and try to maintain regular bedtimes"...yada, yada, yada. Again, not exactly rocket science, but still...there are times when only an M&M fix will do.

Get comfortable. ~zzzzz~

Clear clutter. I spend so much time clearing clutter that I don't get any real work done. They say there's an inverse relationship between an organized desk and an organized mind. I believe this, because to see my desk does not give anyone insight into the clutter that fills my head.

Take regular breaks. Like blogging, for example? :-)

Be sure there’s adequate light. Aha! That was the problem. I was once in the darkness, but now I can see!

Rest your eyes. ~more zzzzzz~

Check your meds. Am I the only one who thinks this is funny?

Let go. Here, I just have to quote the article (emphasis added by me)..."If a lack of concentration is a concern, there are some techniques that may help improve it, such as one dubbed, “Be Here Now.” University experts note, “When you are thinking about not concentrating, you are not concentrating. Do not try to push any particular thought out of your mind. When you are trying not to think about something, your mind is occupied and you are not concentrating. Just let the thought go like a breeze, say to yourself, ‘be here now,’ and return to the present.” University experts said that. Just, wow. Like, that's really cosmic.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Yeah, but the "university experts" are getting grant money to come up with this schlock: "Don't think about clowns! The key to everything is to not think about clowns. Once you can stop thinking about clowns, your mind can float like a leaf on the river of life..."

 
At 11:14 AM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. True enough! ;-)

In fact, it is often the need to "be here now, and return to the present" that IS the problem. It is only my knowledge that the present will soon be the past that gets me through sometimes. Do you suppose I could get some grant money to support this theory?

 
At 3:00 PM, February 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't think they'll let me rest my eyes at work. Too bad. :)

 
At 7:32 PM, February 07, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

I know. Whose stress-reducer list is this anyway? Certainly not our bosses'. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home