Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Carne Asada and The Fiancé

The "kids" finally arrived last night, ready to prepare us a wonderful dinner...they arrived carrying 15 pounds of thinly sliced and marinaded beef and 8 dozen tortillas, flour and corn. 15 pounds of beef (no bones)! Seriously. Always up for a party (not), I started in with the questions. "Um," I asked, "how many people are coming over?" "Just us," said our daughter, noting that there were 5 of us since the fiance's cousin decided to join them on this outing to meet the future in-laws (for reasons unclear to us). "Oh, so we'll have to ration then...just 3 pounds of meat and 19 tortillas a piece, what a shame...maybe I can fill up on mixed nuts."

Anyway, since the meat was already sliced and marinaded, it didn't take as long as we expected, and it was super tasty. Here's the fiancé putting the last batch on the grill (it's too bad it was too cold outside to fire up the real grill, with wood coals, because that would have been especially delicious). We enjoyed the finished product with 2 kinds of tortillas and 3 kinds of salsa (hot, hotter and hottest). And then we finished it off with a nice pecan pie. Mmmm. Delicious!

The Fiancé (nice Stetson!)




The Engaged

Here is what we now know about the engagement that we did not know before yesterday...

They are "planning" to get married on Valentine's Day (less than a month away) and have not yet reserved the church (Me: "Are you planning to get married in a church or at the courthouse?" Daughter: "At a church. At your church. I'm not getting married in a courthouse!" Me: "Oh? Have you talked to anyone at the church yet?" Her: "No" *exasperated sigh*). When asked if they had their marriage license yet, she acted like that was the first she'd heard of such a thing (Her: "Who has to do that?" Me: "Well, you do, honey." Her: "Both of us?!" Me: "Yes. Maybe you should pick up a bridal magazine or something") And so the conversation went. No dress, no flowers, no music, no cake, no reception hall, no food, no ring for the groom (apparently, her ring has been purchased and is being sized...girl knows what's important, I guess). Granted, all of this stuff can be bought on a moment's notice if you're not too picky, so I guess there's an outside chance that a wedding will take place on Valentine's Day, but I have my doubts. It sounded as if they were in love with the idea of a wedding on Valentine's Day, but hadn't actually thought through any of the details yet. I hated to ask (not that this stopped me) the important questions, like, do you really love this guy and think he's the one you are meant to spend the rest of your life with???

Nevertheless, we could tell that they are very much in love and he seemed like a very nice and loving and supportive man. He seemed serious about wanting to take care of her and provide for her. Of all the boyfriends she has had, we both agreed that he was one of the few we actually liked (he's one of the few that doesn't dress like a gangster, which might have a lot to do with our willingness to be open minded about the prospect of giving her away). But still...she's only 19 (or will be very shortly). She's barely an adult and not yet finished with her education. So we have some serious concerns, but then it's really not in our hands, I guess. We are trusting God to guide them.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Oh. My. Valentine's Day. Church wedding. Nothing done. You get Mother of the Year for still managing the "honey."

Though I'm all for more sedate, sane weddings. And you get the craziness over with in -- OMG -- less than a month!

 
At 12:37 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Yikes.

Of course, I'm still reeling from the not having asked her dad's permission bit - but I'm an old fashioned throwback, I realize. (Of course, I told Tim when it started getting serious that if he proposed without having spoken to my parents first my answer would be no. Reference old fashioned throwback comment.)

Still - I agree, mother of the year for managing the "honey" and the open mind! We'll be praying!

 
At 3:27 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

I'm glad he's a likeable one. I can forsee stress levels going through the roof in your house with one month to do everything...You'll have my prayers too.

 
At 11:22 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. Never fear, the "honey" was dripping with sarcasm, as in, "Honey, you better get your act together!" I do take some responsibility though, for raising a child that doesn't take planning seriously. That said, I will not be worrying too much about the details either. After all, it's not my wedding (and if it was, it would cost $500 and it would only require about a week's planning time). 8-}

Beth, we had a little talk about that very thing after they left...it did not go unnoticed! We even expected him to do so at dinner (better late than never). There was a moment in the conversation where I thought he might do that, but the moment passed.

Thanks for stopping by Sisiggy! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home