Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cooking For Two

Heh. The pot is overflowing. You would think I'm cooking for a large gathering. I could make this a contest...what am I cooking?


It's Jen's Texas Chili...a double batch (that's an 8 qt pot!). It's yummy. We make it all the time (with ground turkey instead of beef and with chicken taco seasoning instead of regular...it has a little lime kick to it) because it is super easy and we love the leftovers. We're making this for the coming week. Chili for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But we are supposed to be eating carne asada for dinner tonight. That is, if our cook ever gets here . Our daughter and her fiance (yes, well, that was news to us also) were supposed to come over and fix dinner for us. The fiance is Mexican and sounds like a good cook, and we're looking forward to sampling it. They were supposed to be here at 3:00 but it's now 5:30...they just called to tell us they're on their way...doesn't carne asada take like, a long time to cook?! In the meantime, I guess, we have our back up pot of chili.

I laughed as I "assembled" the chili, because of this post, the funniest post about baked beans I've read in a long time. It's true, if you have to open a can, it's probably not technically "cooking" (the trash can was full of cans after this picture was taken...14 in all!). But I say, if you have to cut up an onion, it's cooking. And I outsourced the onion cutting to my husband. ;-)

Okay, the cooks have finally arrived. I'll be back tomorrow.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, January 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yellow chili? I'm no expert, but all the chili I've had has been the color of beef. That looks like a movie theater sized tub of popcorn in a stout, reusable container.

Maybe I need to branch out a bit.

 
At 8:18 PM, January 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is that on top? Or is it supposed to be yellow? Someone made 'white chili' in a cookoff at work recently...it looked nasty. :)

 
At 8:48 PM, January 20, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Well, how did it go?

Not only the asada, but the meeting of the "fiance"???

Kids, they love to shock us, don't they?

 
At 4:34 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Yes, how did the meeting go? Was it a good or bad surprise?

 
At 10:24 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian and Stephen, that's 2 16 oz bags of frozen corn on top. I realized at that point that I needed a bigger pot. It eventually got mixed in and turned to chili, Tex-Mex style (although true Texans and Mexican would probably disagree). ;-)

Janie and Rach, I'll be sure to post a follow-up tonight, with pictures! :-)

 
At 10:58 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I thought it was popcorn at first, too. Then I saw that you were making my chili (good recipe, yo!) and I knew it was the corn.

We love that stuff, too. I think I'll need to make some this week.

 
At 8:37 PM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Avery Gray said...

Oh, I love homemade chili! Haven't made it in forever, though. I think I might have to bust out my big cast iron pot. (It's always best in a cast iron pot, you know!)

 
At 9:03 PM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Hey, look! It's Avery everybody. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Feel free to pilfer the recipe I linked here...it really is a good one and super easy. You might not even need to mess up your cast iron pot. But don't let that stop you from doing so. ;-)

 
At 6:08 AM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Cans are perfectly acceptable for chili -- con carne. Though I admit that I shouldn't be the arbiter for food not of my own region. Only about baked beans.

Congratulations on the engagement! Never a dull moment with the kids (she say, eyeing her own 19-year-old suspiciously)!

 
At 11:31 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Sisiggy, it's funny, I think the bean wars extend into the various regional chili preferences as well. In fact, I'm fairly certain that the mere insertion of beans of any kind, cooked, canned or dried, is one of the 7 deadly sins in Texas. You are welcome to arbiter away on all foods, of all regions, here. Except barbeque. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home