Friday, January 18, 2008

Disaster Averted

I had nightmares last night. And with good reason. I nearly killed the dog. In real life. After nearly killing the dog in real life, I had nightmares that the dog was dead. It was a rough night.

After a good evening with a couple of friends who wanted to see my jewelry (and ended up buying 7 pieces!), I drove home carefully on the still semi-icy/slushy/snowy roads. When I got home, our dogs were both outside, running around. Smokey (I've added a link to a post containing Smokey's mug, but you have to scroll down the post to get to it) is getting more arthritic, blind and deaf by the day (he's about 14) and was limping as he ran. After he ran down the small hill and into the driveway, his normal routine is to get in front of my car and guide me in. He's a herding dog. I guess this is what he's supposed to do. But this time, instead of guiding me into the garage, he collapsed into the snow and lifted one leg up as if it was especially painful, or frozen or something. Feeling sorry for him and knowing that he had overexerted himself getting into position, I put on the parking brake and jumped out of the car to help him. Only I forgot to put the car in Park first! Gahhhhh!!!! I was already out of the car and walking toward him when I realized the car was MOVING!! And it was about to run over Smokey!!! I rushed to get back in the car, sliding around (in my dress shoes on the icy snowy driveway, no less), clawing with my hands for the brake pedal in fear that I couldn't get in the car fast enough to put my foot on it, and finally (FINALLY!) managing to jump in and stop the car, all just in the nick of time. At any rate, it was a close call and too scary to think about what might have happened. My husband would have killed me shortly thereafter, I'm sure of it.

My profound sympathies go out to others who have lost their dogs recently, to disasters that were not averted. I'm so sorry to Beth and to Jim and to others who, on a regular basis, lose their most loyal friends to accidents such as these.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, January 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a close call. I'm glad you didn't freeze in panic but were able to react quickly and save a life!

So what was wrong with the dog that made him fall in the first place? Is he okay now?

 
At 4:03 PM, January 18, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Gosh I'm glad you could divert the disaster!

I second Jim's question, is he ok now?

Poor baby.

 
At 5:14 PM, January 18, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Poor dog but also poor you - that is the stuff of nightmares - so I'm not surprised you had some!

 
At 5:15 PM, January 18, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

I think he may have slipped on the ice and hit his funny bone or something. He was able to get up and walk away (but still with a limp). I also had to help him up the stairs from the garage. This isn't too unusual these days though. I've watched him tumble down the stairs once as a result of his weak legs. We keep the stairs blocked now. He's just getting old, poor baby. I told my husband not to let him out alone at night anymore, for fear he may fall someplace in the dark and we won't find him until daylight, after he's frozen to death. It's rough getting older!

 
At 7:50 AM, January 19, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

From your description, the mental image I had was of Smokey falling to the ground, clutching his doggy hammy and groaning, "Cramp! Cramp!"

I'm glad the crisis was averted. Your story reminds me of the tragedy that struck the parents of some acquaintances of ours. The elderly parents were on a trip in their motor home and had stopped at a convenience store. Somehow, the wife ended up falling behind the vehicle and the husband, not knowing she was there, backed over her, killing her.

Smokey should count among his blessings your determination and quick reflexes.

 
At 9:39 AM, January 19, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Oh, my gosh, Foo! That story makes me tremble!! I've heard of a husband leaving his wife behind at the convenience store before but never running over her. What an awful thing for him to live with. I can't even imagine!

And your mental image of the doggy hammy cramp is pretty much what it looked like.

I don't know how quick my reflexes were...it seemed like it took me forever to get the car stopped. 8-}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home