Thursday, December 06, 2007

Bah, Humbug!

I am not a fan of "the holidays," in the commercial sense, so this meme is right up my alley...

Via Jim and Brian - The Bah Humbug meme (aka Stuff I Hate About the Holidays):

1) dessert/cookie/family food: I know you expect me to say fruitcake here, but honestly? I love fruitcake. Which pretty much discredits everything else I have to say from this point on, I realize. But the holiday food I really hate is sweet potatoes made sweeter with stuff, especially MARSHMALLOWS. Gak. Give me a sweet potato with butter, salt and pepper anyday.

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc): Don't screw with the egg nog...no alcohol (is that the "nog?")!

3) tradition (church, family, other): Office holiday parties. Ugh.

4) Decoration: Like Brian, I think I'd have to rule out blow-up decorations, but I'm not above sticking one of those inflatables on my lawn, just for laughs (not that I have done that, mind you...I do have standards, you know).

5) gift (received or given): One year, living on a tight budget, I made all of my gifts. For my step-mother who has everything and very little taste for "country chic," I made a wreath with little calico print potpouri sachets tied to it like bows. She gratefully accepted the gift and then stashed it away in a closet somewhere, or maybe the attic. I'm not sure. I'll have to ask her where that is, now that I think about it.

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it: Jim stole his answer from me (Santa Baby), but the version that first comes to mind for me is the one sung by Eartha Kitt. What awful lyrics.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, December 08, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

I have to confess that I'm actually rather fond of “Santa Baby” – but only because that's the only song that my lovely bride will sing on those rare occasions we do the karaoke thing. It sounds really cute when she does it.

Personally, I'm irritated by all those overwrought R & B renditions of classics like “White Christmas” and “The Little Drummer Boy”. Sure, it's a lot tougher to come up with a new song so good that it becomes a classic than it is to mangle a classic in an attempt to “make it your own”; but it can be done. So if any of you marginally-talented R & B doodlers and wanna-be pop stars is reading: please try.

 
At 1:50 PM, December 08, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Well, now see, Foo, I think that is exactly the right context for Santa Baby...sung by a woman to her husband, in a karaoke bar. ;-)

Heh, I wonder how many "R&B doodlers" stop by here. :-) But I agree with you...I bought one of those CDs last year, a collection of R&B renditions. I listened to it once. I really thought it had more potential than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home