Thursday, December 06, 2007

'Tis The Season

Updated to swap out photos with this one, taken in my new light box. I'm still working on getting good resolution and white balance.

Meet Saint Nicholas...about the height of a penny, missing arms and bearing a few other war wounds...he makes me smile.



I just pulled out my winter coat and there he was, underneath my gloves, residing in my coat pocket since...um...thinking back to the moment I discovered him lying naked in the gutter of a street in Chinatown, San Francisco...Christmas of 2003. 2003! Wow. Four years. He has traveled all over, from sea (Seattle, Big Sur, San Francisco) to shining sea (Cape Cod, DC, Savannah), points in between (Chicago, Omaha, Denver) and across the pond (Croatia, Italy, and Vienna). For all his travels, he has never lost his way. Like a baby kangaroo, he clings to the security of the inner corner of my pocket. It amazes me that he hasn't fallen out. This Christmas, he will be traveling with us to Cambria, CA and Seattle.

And at this point, Saint Nicholas is the only Christmas decoration I've gotten out.

Must start doing my Christmas shopping...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, December 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like that guy's had a rough life. Good for him to have found a safe, comfortable retirement in the relative safety of a soft warm coat pocket.

 
At 6:11 AM, December 07, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Woah. I'd heard that Blogger has changed the comments form but, uh, sorry about that mess up there..

 
At 8:37 AM, December 08, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Nice. He kind of reminds me of the snowthings that my in-laws trot out each Christmas.

 
At 1:56 PM, December 08, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

No problem, Brian. We'll let it slide this once. ;-) And yes, he is at least safe and warm.

Foo, the "snowthings" might just be the reason for the question about decorations in the Bah Humbug meme. ;-)

 
At 7:48 AM, December 10, 2007, Blogger mis_nomer said...

Hi saint nicholas. You remind me of the toy soldier with one leg.

 
At 8:57 AM, December 10, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

Nice work with the light box.

 
At 10:07 AM, December 10, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Hi Mis-nomer! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Jen, I've had a hard time achieving this kind of white balance on the other photos so far. There's still work to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home