Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Now I've Done It

Today, I gave notice to my company that I would probably, most likely, be leaving sometime soon, like in the near future, but not right away, like if they need me to stick around and help transition clients and stuff, I can stay for awhile, but really, eventually, my husband and I are planning to relocate to the Pacific Northwest. Sometime. Soon.

That's about how my side of the conversation went anyway.

My boss, who was sitting on the other side of the lunch table from me, asked the waiter for a sharper knife.

And then he told me that if I had not read my employment agreement lately, he would be happy to get me a copy and he remembers distinctly a 3-year notification clause in it (which ties in nicely with the 3 remaining years that he is in charge of our "5-year Growth Plan.")

Well, it's a start anyway. Baby steps. You have no idea how difficult this has been (and will be) for me. Some people are addicted to alcohol or drugs. I am only just beginning to admit that I may in fact be addicted to work. But I also know that I am ready for a change. A big change. And a job at Starbucks sounds real good about now.

Update: Let the record show that it was my intention to give notice on October 16th, in a slightly more formal letter form. It has taken me 42 days to get to this point. 42. The answer to life and everything.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, November 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The post office is always hiring.

 
At 8:03 PM, November 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That is quite a step. How exciting (and understandably scary) for you. I wish you luck and confidence in taking the leap. Keep us updated!

 
At 10:46 PM, November 27, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jim, who did you think was filling in on R5 for you tomorrow? ;-)

Thanks, Jennifer. I'll be sure to document the journey, for my own sanity if nothing else. Any and all prayers are welcome. ;-)

 
At 11:31 PM, November 27, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Good on you for having the courage!!! :)

 
At 7:46 AM, November 28, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Yay! You got the hard part out of the way now - at least, hard part part 1. :) I'm sure there'll be others. But still - change is exciting! (I tell myself this in the middle of the night when I'm so stressed I can't sleep - it never really makes me feel better, but maybe you'll have better luck with it. :) )

Lots of prayer coming your way with all the upheaval.

 
At 8:00 AM, November 28, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Go, Gwynne, Go!

..but that 3-year notification clause?? Sante Merde! You've got to be kidding. Get Scott Boras on the line; he's no longer busy with Alex Rodriguez.

 
At 9:32 PM, November 30, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

All a part of living the dream, right? So when do you set sail?

 
At 10:29 PM, November 30, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

Your boss must be a truly desperate (and, possibly, deranged) individual. I can think of few things I'd rather deal with than an employee who's showing up because of a contractual obligation rather than love of the work (or the paycheck, whichever works better). Granted, he obviously knows you well enough to understand that you'll carry your weight and more until the bitter end, regardless of how badly you want to be somewhere else...but why would he want to put you through that?

But, the longest journey...small steps...and all that. The cogs of The Plan are starting to click, and that goes a long way.

 
At 9:18 AM, December 01, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Never fear...the boss was only joking about a 3-year clause. He knows better than to chain anyone to their desk and still expect anything resembling good performance. The 3 years was only to support his goal of fulfilling our 5-year growth plan. The real employment contract (which he jokingly suggested he would "correct" if needed) indicates only 60 or 90 days notice. And frankly, even that can be a long time to deal with an employee who doesn't want to be there, so I will try to be on my best behavior while we work out the details re: timing, or I may find myself out on the street sooner rather than later. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home