Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Deposition, continued

In which I answer Question #3 of the Inquisition. John asked...

3) Describe a piece of art in your house and what it signifies for you.

I think I would have to pick this piece, by Abigail Howe, an up and coming young artist from the Kansas City area. I found it at this gallery a couple years ago. I was not planning to buy anything, but I fell in love with this painting immediately. This portrait moves me on several levels, not the least of which is its title, which basically sold the painting. I think most people have heard of The Girl With Pearl Earring, which is a beautiful work by Vermeer, but it is distinctly lacking in iconography, something for which Vermeer was well known. Ironic then (or not) that this was the painting about which a book and subsequently a movie was written. Of all of Vermeer's works, The Girl With Pearl Earring probably had the least story to tell. At least that's my opinion. That said, the title of this painting parodies Vermeer's Girl With Pearl Earring perfectly, substituting a basically worthless stainless steel earring for the semi-precious pearl, a hardened gaze for the demure, and a nude (but not exposed) figure for the fully clothed one.

But parody aside, I was initially struck by its beauty which did remind me of Vermeer before I even read the title....the colors, the use of light, the pose (I think the back and shoulder muscles are especially beautiful, be they on a man or woman), the brush strokes, the serious gaze, and the way the model seems unaffected or unimpressed with her own beauty.

What else can I say? I hope this artist enjoys a successful career. I know we enjoy this painting of a perfect stranger in our home's entryway.

Girl With Stainless Steel Earring

And now, are there any volunteers out there who might be willing to be interviewed? Hmm?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Sure, why not! I'll participate :). Waves hand to get Gwynne's attention!

 
At 10:55 AM, May 10, 2007, Blogger John B. said...

Gwynne,
Thanks for sharing this, and thanks (again) for being a good sport and volunteering to be interviewed.

 
At 3:32 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rachel, you're on! I'll email you some questions shortly. Thanks for playing. :-)

 
At 6:50 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger beth said...

I'll volunteer as well - I've been running a tad dry of late. You'll tailor the questions, right? :)

 
At 1:22 AM, May 11, 2007, Blogger Jenn said...

for your description of accountant.....where do I SIGN!!!

 
At 8:28 PM, May 11, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, yes I will tailor (and am tailoring the questions. I will send them to you and Rachel as soon as I think of them. ;-)

Emma, are you also volunteering to be interviewed? ;-)

 
At 6:46 AM, May 15, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

All done :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home