Saturday, April 28, 2007

Yet Another List

I seem to be on a List roll lately. I like lists, I must admit. But really, I don't know what purpose this one serves for anyone but me. This was something that I saw on another site earlier in the year and thought I'd give it a go sometime. At the end of the day, after racking my brain for a list of concerts I have been to, I realized that, for me, it was more of a walk down memory lane than anything. Every concert represents a special occasion, with good friends and good music, truly some of the most relaxing and enjoyable times of my life. I left off the names of lesser known bands we have listened to at various festivals around the country but tried to list the headliners. I'm sure there are still some lesser knowns on this list, along with some real doozies. *cough* Tommy Twotone *cough* I'd be curious to know if there is any overlap among my "readers." Maybe we were even at the same concert?

Al Green (Kansas City)
Albert King (San Luis Obispo, CA)
BB King (6-7 times, Monterey, CA, KC, SLO,)
Beach Boys (KC)
Bonnie Raitt (Santa Barbara)
Bruce Springsteen (KC)
Buddy Guy (KC)
C.J. Chenier (Eureka Springs, AK)
Charlie Musselwhite (SLO)
Cher (KC)
Chubby Carrier (Eureka Springs)
Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown (New Orleans)
Coco Montoya (KC, SLO)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (KC)
Elvis Costello (NOLA)
Eric Clapton (twice, KC)
Etta James (Monterey)
Isaac Hayes (NOLA)
J. Giles Band (SLO)
Jackson Browne (Santa Barbara)
James Cotton (SLO)
Jimmy Thackery (Topeka)
Joan Baez (SLO)
Journey (KC)
Keb Mo (twice, KC, ES)
Koko Taylor (SLO)
Kool & The Gang (Paso Robles, CA)
Little Feat (Seattle)
Little Richard (KC)
Liz Story (twice, Santa Barbara, SLO)
Loverboy (I know. I KNOW!) (Salina, KS)
Marcia Ball (twice, NOLA, KC)
Maria Muldaur (ES)
Michael Hedges (Santa Barbara)
Neville Brothers (Monterey)
Original Low Riders/fka War (KC)
Otis Rush (SLO)
Pat Metheny (3 times, KC, Santa Barbara)
Queen Ida (Santa Maria, CA)
Reba Russell (ES)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (SLO)
Riders of the Purple Sage (PR)
Rod Piazza & the Mighty Flyers (SLO)
Rory Block (twice, SLO)
Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (SLO)
Shadowfax (SB)
Susan Tedeschi (KC)
Tab Benoit (ES)
Taj Mahal (SLO)
Three Dog Night (PR)
Tommy Twotone (Remember "867-5309"?) (Los Angeles)
Van Clyburn (my first concert) (Manhattan, KS)

And while this list seems fairly long to me, I challenge Darko to the task. My guess is that his list would fill a book (but he may not remember them all). ;-)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, April 30, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Quite an impressive list, Gwynne.
All concerts!?!? That trip down memory lane will be quite the baring of the musical soul; a variety running the gamut from embarrassing to life-changing.

...but, I will give it the ol' college try. If you don't mind, I'll leave out the dates!
...and I won't list the Grateful Dead concerts that I had tickets for, waited in drizzly parking lots and scorching fields for, only to be told they canceled the show... AGAIN!!!!.

 
At 10:51 AM, April 30, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Gwynne,
Thanks for the mem; it gave me something to actually post today! The list is here.

I envy you seeing Mr. Al Green; still have not seen him!

 
At 7:55 PM, April 30, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Darko, as I expected, your list is the length of a novel! I am most impressed at the speed with which you were able to produce it. Apparently, your memory of these memorable events is better than I expected. ;-)

Al Green was a pleasant surprise for me. He performed at the KC Spirit Fest not too many years ago and was worth every penny. Pat Metheny was at the same festival, so it was a great weekend.

 
At 7:20 AM, May 01, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

I was just as surprised as to how quickly and easily the performances came back, especially the Montreal ones, when I was in college. And, yes, I did graduate in 4 years despite the impression I may have given that I lived in concert halls.
Other performances not noted have started coming back. I used to be one of those concert-nerds who kept every concert stub. At some point I thought, well it's only paper and I ditched them all. A shame! They didn't take up that much room and just touching one, I remember, injected instant recall of the event.
Hope you've kept your stubs!

 
At 5:19 PM, May 01, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

I've not kept many of my stubs, sadly. You're right...they are an easy thing to keep that is sentimental and not space consuming, but I've only got a handful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home