Thursday, May 29, 2008

We Interupt This Silence...

To share a perfect illustration of irony (from the directory of my company's intracompany online website):

"Tax Comptency Inventory"

Presumably, this (the link to a list of employees) is where we can go to find people in the company who are "comptent," wherever they may be. The inventory is self-populated, by the comptent people themselves (or at least those who think of themselves as comptent), so you can imagine its usefulness.



In other news, there is a bridge being built (weak and shaky as it is) to cross the generation gap in our household:

Younger Daughter (stopping for a moment between constant channel changes on the car radio): "Oh, I love this song!"

Me: "You do?! So do I!" (the song is Landslide...don't laugh, but I love to turn up the volume on this song, especially the intro)

YD: "Yeah. *sings along for a bit* "Did you know Fleetwood Mac did this song originally?"

Me: "Um, this IS Fleetwood Mac." (one of the buttons on my radio goes straight to classic rock of the 70's and 80's and this is that station, so I'm pretty sure of my facts although I often doubt myself these days) "This IS the original version...who did you think it was?"

YD: "Sheryl Crow"

Me: "Ouch! Nobody sings it like Stevie Nicks."

And so we shared a moment of common affection for a single song before returning to the ear-splitting sounds of Urban Hip/Hop/Pop music. Gah.

I just looked up the song in Wikipedia and it mentions that Stevie may be "singing about her own life and her growth from child to young adult. When it comes time to move from home and abandon the lifeline she has known as a child, she wonders whether she can make it on her own." A very serendipitous moment indeed.

And now, we return to the regular feature...zzzzzzzzz........

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, May 30, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Perhaps Sheryl Crow has achieved comptency in sounding like Stevie Nicks.

But I doubt it. It requires just the right mix of nasally whine and cocaine to get achieve a comptent Stevie Nicks.

 
At 6:11 AM, May 31, 2008, Blogger Bobkat said...

I like that song too :)That sounds like a rare moment of common ground between parent and daughter. My dad used to hate my music when I lived at home, though one day I played a song by 'The Mighty Wah' called 'The Story of the Blues' and my dad loved it. I was both horrified and happy.



We have a competency system at work as well, though it is assessed by the satff member and the line manager. Your organisation's sounds a bit like a self-licking lollipop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home