Monday, April 28, 2008

Sluggish

Okay, where was I? I've been a little out of touch lately. Ever since the big crash...






I've had a hard time bouncing back from the tax season "finale." There have been a few shake-ups on the home front as well. For one, the 17-year old has come back home to roost (flying in from CA where her mother decided that her rebellious teenage behavior was more than she could handle...we've also had our fair share of exhausting exchanges of wills and egos, but nothing like her mother was dealing with, which shall remain private*). We always said her strong-willed, inner-directed nature would be a handful when she hit this age, but we couldn't have predicted just how difficult. Whew! Tax season was almost a breeze by comparison.

The 19-year old, the one who was going to get married on Valentine's Day, is living on her own, albeit very tenuously, and is now expecting a baby in August. The once-upon-a-time fiance, aka "the baby's daddy," is no longer in the picture. This whole situation tears me up and I wish I could think of a positive and/or humorous spin to put on it, but I can't. We have talked about the adoption option (and the courage it would take to go down that path). She's not decided against adoption yet, but I can tell she is already emotionally invested in the baby's life.

Needless to say, this puts our departure for the Pacific Northwest on hold for now. Not that we had any immediate plans to sail away. We knew it would be a slow transition, but we really didn't expect all this.

Oh! And my other job? The the jewelry making business? Yes, well, it seems I had a product defect in the type of crimp beads I was using, so one by one, I was getting calls from my customers (friends) telling me that the bracelet, necklace, etc. had just broken. Aye!! So last week, I recalled it all and spent Saturday doing warranty work. Not quite as serious as the other issues, but still, that stinks.

I was very thankful for the opportunity to take a long nap yesterday. On the bright side, my eyes are much better (the pressure is much lower, thanks to the medication), the goldfish didn't die when I changed his tank, the dogs' health is much better, the carpet is clean, there's food in the refrigerator and gas in the cars.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, April 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There's gas in the cars"

That's a little economic stimulus package right there.

Seriously, I'm just glad you can still find time and the emotional wherewithal to post in the midst of all that's going on. It's always nice to hear from you, even when the news isn't all great.

Hooray for your eyes! That's good news!

 
At 8:40 PM, April 28, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jim, it's nice to hear from you too...thanks for the encouragement. You're always good for a smile.

And I will refrain from judging anyone who puts gummy bears in their ice cream, but really, you've gotta knock some sense into those girls of yours! ;-)

 
At 11:01 PM, April 28, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

ditto Jim.

I want to remind you...remember the Jeremiah 1:5 scripture, "Before you were formed in your mother's womb I knew you..."

The Lord knows this little one - and the little one who is carrying him/her. You and hubby rest in that. I know this is hard - but if you can enter into His rest, the path will become clear.

 
At 12:07 AM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Janie. There is great comfort in knowing that. Now, if we can just trust Him enough to rest!

 
At 6:37 AM, April 29, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Gwynne, Lots of hugs from here. I have more to add, but will shoot you an email rather than leaving it here for everyone. Just know that God is with you in the valleys just as much as He is on the mountaintops. Hang in there! (And hey, my necklace rocks and shows no signs of having any issues.)

 
At 8:40 AM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, I wondered about your necklace...if it should show any signs of breakage, please let me know! There's a free Starbucks gift card with every repair. ;-) And thanks for the hugs and the reminders. :-)

 
At 10:37 AM, April 29, 2008, Blogger DarkoV said...

Gwynee,
Jeez, Job didn't have it this hard. Oh yeah, forgot! He was a guy and guys just can't take it as much or as well as women.

Seriously, though, my heart goes out to you and I hope the Forces that be decide it's time for a sabbatical and leave you be.
At least for a week or two.

 
At 3:16 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

Wow, that is a lot going on. Praying for you all out here.

I've switched to using the Tornado crimps almost exclusively. They're a little more costly, but worth the expense in peach of mind and ease of use.

 
At 9:04 AM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

I don't know what is the hardest part about raising teenagers: watching them crash or watching them deal with the consequences of crashing without getting in the way of the lesson yourself. I think we deserve gold medals for the amount of times we don't say, "I told you so."

"...the dogs' health is much better...there's food in the refrigerator..."
Hey, that's heaven to me!

Hang in there.

 
At 11:54 AM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Darko, you won't hear me making that claim...until my husband gets sick. ;-) A 2 week sabbatical is what I've ordered, but it hasn't come in yet.

Jen, I knew I could count on you for a solution to my jewelry making problems, and I love the typo. "Peach" of mind is now a part of my daily mantra. ;-)

Sisiggy, I'm still working to earn my first gold star as a parent. I'm not sure who is giving them out, but apparently, I have not impressed them thus far. 8-}

 
At 2:42 PM, May 01, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, lately I can't type. It's becoming a problem. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home