Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lessons

Yesterday, I retrieved the Grasshopper from the body shop...$9,628. Value of being able to drive it home...priceless.

Yesterday, the neighbors finally had a replacement mailbox installed (which means their rural postal carrier no longer has to get out of her car and walk up to the house...I gave them the insurance claim info the day of the accident). They were sitting on the porch as I drove by in the newly revived Grasshopper so we exchanged waves. They told my husband that they thought about putting a big target on the side of their mailbox for my benefit. It's nice to have such understanding neighbors. I think. :-)

Yesterday, I taught our 17-year old how to use the new washing machine (she's been here almost a month and is only now realizing that if she wants clean clothes, she may need to pick them up off her floor and wash them). This morning, at exactly 15 minutes before we had to leave for work, she began washing a load that included her work shirt, not thinking about how long it would take to wash and then dry the load. So she went to work wearing a dirty wet t-shirt.

Yesterday, my younger brother was released from the hospital following a heart attack scare that landed him in the emergency room the night before. He says it was stress related but he's okay (they don't think it was a heart attack). We discussed the value of lessons learned and more importantly, of listening. We both work in stressful fields and we both take our work too seriously for our own (and our family's) good. He reminded me that God doesn't always give us second chances.

Since my last post, the 19-year old mother-to-be, has moved back home and we are thrilled. We have had some good quality time together and she has finally acknowledged that life out on her own was a lot harder than she thought it would be. She listens to her 17-year old ("I'm almost 18! I'm almost an adult! I can do anything I want! I can't wait to get out of here!") sister and just smiles. They all learn, eventually. We hope.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, May 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"heart attack scare that landed him in the emergency room the night before. He says it was stress related but he's okay (they don't think it was a heart attack)."

That exact thing happened to me some years ago.

You certainly have been through the mill! Glad you're seeing some daylight.

 
At 7:22 PM, May 14, 2008, Blogger beth said...

The heart attack thing happened to Tim a few years ago as well - and now he's on medication to help regulate his heartbeat when under stress. Glad that he is ok though!

I'm glad that your neighbors have a sense of humor and that your daughters are starting to realize what we all have to learn at some point: our parents do actually have a few clues.

Lots of hugs and prayers still coming your way from this way.

 
At 7:27 AM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

I'm right behind you, sister.

Remember: that which does not kill us makes us stronger (and increases our tolerance of alcohol).

 
At 7:56 AM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

Your comments about work and second chances are timely. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as my job satisfaction seems to be decreasing in inverse proportion to the number of hours I'm having to put in. On the one hand, the adage that no one ever lay on his death bed and thought, “I wish I'd spent more time working.” On the other hand, jobs aren't growing on trees, these days, and even less so the ones that pay guys like me what mine does. The ones that come with medical benefits – even as stripped down as ours are, since we were bought out – are even fewer.

So it's one thing to recognize that I should be spending more quality time with my loving wife and the kittens, but what good does it do my family if my idealism costs me the only means we have to put food on the table; pay the mortgage and utility companies; keep our local, state, and federal officials fat, dumb (arguably), and happy; and still somehow have something left over for retirement?

If you figure out how to find that balance, let me know.

 
At 8:20 AM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, I'm struggling with that dilemma as we speak. As jobs become scarcer and my husband's work in the construction industry becomes less and less certain, I keep going back and forth on my decision to leave my "good" job. I question if I'm just not grateful enough for what I have when people are looking for work. I really do feel fortunate to have had the opportunities I've had with my company. But I also know that stress kills. I pray that your situation at work improves and that you are able to spend more time with your wife and kittens.

Sisiggy, right! Bring on the apple juice! ;-)

Jim, I remember you saying something about that! Very scary, especially when it happens to otherwise healthy people. A good reminder that every day counts, huh?

Thanks, Beth, the book you sent has been very helpful!

 
At 9:36 AM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Bobkat said...

Glad to hear that you got your car back. Your neighbours seem to be good sports ;)

I'm also glad to hear that your brother is ok. Sometimes a wake-up call is what is required to get our attention. I think we can get so busy that we neglect ourselves with promises of 'Ill do something about the situation soon' and then next thing we know another year has passed! I have been facing a similar dilemmaas I ahev been feeling very stressed as I haev been covereing for a sick boss and no-one thanks me for slogging my guts out and it's only my social life and free time that is suffering. But, this imballance is making me unhappy as I do not live to work, I work to live. My answer, not to resign but to apply for another post elsewhere on promotion! I am doing the higher level work anyway and a change is required. It will also get me out of a job that becaise nof stress, no longer motivates me. Fingers crossed I get the new job!

 
At 4:23 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Glad your brother is okay and that things generally are okay :).

 
At 6:49 PM, May 15, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Wow. Glad your brother is okay...and the second chances statement hits home to me, too (as I still sit at the office, it's almost 7pm). Gotta get home to take care of that man!

I'm excited about the changes in your 19 year old. That is AWESOME.

Sweet.

 
At 7:18 AM, May 16, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Bob-kat, when I read your blog, I empathize with you...your life sounds as stressful (or more so) than mine. So glad you got your Masters out of the way! Good luck on the promotion (if you weren't already doing the higher level work, I might be tempted to say, be careful what you wish for ;-).

Thanks, Rach!

Janie, thanks and best wishes to you and your husband...so glad the cancer scare has been set aside, but go home already!! Okay, it's morning now, but still. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home