Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Too Much Mango in the Chili

There may be worse problems, but this is a new one for me. Too much mango.

I found a great (read "simple and tasty") recipe for Carribean Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili which I've now made several times. It's super easy and we love the leftovers. But this time, I accidentally used one "can" of mango nectar, instead of just one "cup." In an effort to compensate, I reduced the chicken broth, used more sweet potatoes, added more beans and finally, threw in some Sofrito for good measure. So it's no longer really the same recipe, but I can still taste the mango a little too distinctly. I highly recommend this recipe as it was written (you'd never guess this has mango nectar in it), from Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade 20-minute meals:

1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1.25 # ground turkey
1 t. minced garlic (or if you live in our house, 3-4 cloves :-)
1 15 oz can rinsed and drained reduced-sodium black beans (add another can if you like beans)
1 15 oz can sweet potatoes, diced (I can only find sweetened yams, so I rinse them off before dicing and a 29 oz can works also)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion
1 14.5 oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 CUP mango nectar, Kerns
1 packet (1.25 oz) mild chili seasoning mix, McCormick
1/2 t. ground allspice
Chopped fresh cilantro

Saute turkey and garlic in oil until turkey browns. Throw in the rest of the stuff and simmer for at least 10 minutes. That's it! It's delicious!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, January 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did the superMango version taste. Was it still good?

 
At 8:04 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

It was still good, but just a tad too mangoey. Is that a word? I would stick with one cup. But the other modifications were good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home