Friday, April 06, 2007

The Highlight of My Day...so far

From today's email box comes the following exchange:

Me: Hi Bob, I hope this finds you well. I have only one question on your tax return. Did you pay more than just the one estimate you listed on the organizer?

Bob: No. When do you anticipate it being ready and how deep a hole should I start digging?

Me: Thanks, Bob. I do not have your return on my desk to review yet, but expect to have it later today. How about Tuesday PM for pick up? I'll let you know the size of the hole as soon as I get the return.

Bob: Oh, so there is a hole! Sigh.

Me: I have not actually confirmed the presence of a hole yet. I'll let you know.

Bob: Ah, good, a CPA with a sense of humor. That’s the reason I’m still working and haven’t jumped...so far.


Not always a good thing, to have your CPA poking fun at your tax situation, but I'll accept this as a compliment. ;-)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, April 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my first year of full-time ministry. One of the things that they don't teach you in seminary is that you are considered self-employed by the IRS, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I had had no federal taxes withheld from my pay for a full year (I was paid by check and the treasurer never gave out an accounting of monies withheld). Now that was a hole . . . a very deep hole it took me a few years to climb out of.

 
At 7:37 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

"self-employed by the IRS"

Heh. That could be interpreted a few different ways, some funnier than others. Me, I don't want my pastor working for the IRS. ;-)

But I know what you mean. It's a hard lesson to learn when working for yourself and nothing is withheld. I tell people they need to withhold from themself 40% of everything they make and set it aside before they spend it on groceries, just like getting a paycheck with half of it missing.

 
At 12:58 AM, April 07, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Sounds like a neat client!

 
At 6:04 AM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

I'd rather have a funny accountant that a boring one for sure!

 
At 4:43 PM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Janie, I have never actually met the guy. I inherited the client. He sends his tax info to me once a year and we have a brief email exchange, then he comes under the cover of darkness and picks them up. Sometimes, I wish all of my clients were so easy. ;-)

Rachel, until you need someone to represent you before the IRS. Then, it's all business. The IRS has a lousy sense of humor. Trust me, I know this. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home