Friday, February 02, 2007

This Was Bound To Happen

Stupid M&Ms. I knew they would cause trouble. Today, I received an email from the IT Director at our corporate office in Cleveland, telling me that I have (finally?) risen to the top of the abusers of company bandwidth, based on their daily audit of such things. 5,000 users on our network and I get singled out for an email warning. Pfft. I don't stream audio or video files on the company's network (most, like YouTube and iTunes, are off limits anyway...I couldn't get to those if I wanted to), but apparently some sites, like Blogger (and M&M downloads), consume large amounts of bandwidth behind the scenes. Actually, I think the M&Ms were the first thing I knowingly downloaded on the company server. M&Ms are going to be the death of me yet. So, while I don't use company time for my blogging (I only charge time that I'm working on client or administrative stuff, like BILLING), I don't want to be stealing bandwidth either. From now on, I will be scarce during the day when I don't have access to my personal laptop. :-(

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Sorry, darlin'. Didn't mean to get anyone in dutch with Big Brother.

WV: "iaovahwy". That Iowa fertility clinic must get a lot of traffic.

 
At 12:55 PM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

And I apologize for the dupes. Stupid Blogger... I thought it was hung up.

 
At 3:43 PM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

No apologies needed, Foo. Like I said, it was bound to happen. And it doesn't surprise me that it would be M&Ms that brought attention to the "matter." All things considered, I guess, there are worse things I could have been doing. ;-)

And I deleted your duplicates...stupid Blogger is right. ;-)

 
At 3:22 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Gwynne ~ Ooops! I did the M&M thing from work TOO! Well at least he looked cute! I thought about using it for my blog posts... but then thought NO I BETTER NOT! ~ jb///

 
At 10:44 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, I was laughing about that as well. That, and the thought of seeing an article in the WSJ about "partner of national accounting firm fired for using company resources to download M&M caricatures off of the internet." I know, I know, be careful what you wish for. ;-)

JB, you obviously have more sense than I do. ;-)

 
At 4:26 PM, February 05, 2007, Blogger Bret said...

Mordac: I am Mordac, the preventer of information services! I have detected that you are using 1.3% more bandwidth than the average employee and hereby banish you to the Martha Stewart Omnimedia audit!

Gwynne: (gasp!) How did you find me out?

Mordac: I saw your M&Ms on YouTube. You've gone viral, which is also against company policy.

Gwynne: But, isn't YouTube against company policy as well?

Mordac: SILENCE! I only browse it for the articles!

 
At 8:09 PM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Bret, perfect! Contact Scott Adams. I think you've got it. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home