Thursday, February 01, 2007

Happy 18th Birthday!

Our daughter turns 18 today. Finally! She has been telling us "I'm almost 18" for about 3 and a half years now, usually in protest when we ask that she tell us where she's going and when she'll be home. This was usually followed by "When I turn 18, I'm moving out!" Last night, at 11:35, she said (again), "I'm almost 18!" And I replied, "Yes, have you packed your bags?" To which she laughed. Laughed, I tell you! I reminded her that we still want to know where she's going and when she'll be home as long as she lives with us, and that the only thing that really changes at 18 is that now we can kick her out. Sheesh. Parents. Can't live with 'em. Can't live without 'em. It's rough growing up. Parenting is also hard. And it's hard to let them go. Even harder to watch them make mistakes and know that they have to experience that part of growing up too. We would covet any and all prayers you are willing to send in our general direction. :-)

Happy Birthday, Sweetie (may I still call you that?)!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger beth said...

I say you definitely get to keep calling her sweetie. Just perhaps not in front of her friends (though it's likely that was nipped in the bud about 7 years ago if she's typical.) :)

I just remember turning 18 and being able to sign myself out of school. The second half of my senior year was a lot more fun than the first. :)

 
At 3:08 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Ah 18... I think I like being a bit older though hehe.

 
At 1:21 AM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

I just remember turning 18 and being able to sign myself out of school.

Beth, I think you just lost your "goody two shoes" points. ;-) Oh and here's a stupid law for you...in Missouri, they can sign themselves out of school legally at 17, but they are not held accountable for their actions until they are 18.

Rach, it gets really good by age 40. ;-)

They still have short attention spans.

Too true. ;-) Thanks for the encouragement, Eric. I sure don't feel like a great parent most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home