Monday, January 22, 2007

Random Thoughts Posted Over Dinner

Tonight, the office ordered dinner in for us. Chinese. My fortune?

"The night life is for you."

"Night life," as in discotechs, clubs, bars, dance halls, whatever you kids call them these days? Ha! Very funny. That life is not for me! Although I have been known to pay my respects to our local honky tonk once in awhile.

But there might be some truth in the "night life," as in working late. I've always been a night owl, hitting my stride about 4 pm and working into the wee hours. That is normal for me. So maybe that is where I will find my fortune. Who knows?

I received this fortune many years ago, at lunch, the day of a dear friend's funeral:

"The one you love is closer than you think." This one made me look around the room a bit, but I appreciated the affirmation. The timing was perfect.

Does anyone else remember or keep these things? I hate it when I get a really stupid fortune, like "you will have good luck" (not that I don't want "good luck," whatever that might mean, but this doesn't speak to me in the kind of specific terms that I'm looking for). Or no fortune at all. That's never good. And then I want to try again, pick another cookie. But I know I'm stuck with the first one I'm dealt. That's the first rule of fortune cookies. ;-)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, January 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one taped to my computer.
"Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you."

Hubby's desk is right next to mine, but more appropriately when I got it (10+ years ago) he was sitting right next to me-we always sit next to each other in booth seats even when it's just the two of us ;-)

 
At 5:27 AM, January 23, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Fortune cookies aren't really big over here but they always seem cool on the moveis :)!

 
At 9:41 AM, January 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh? you mean you're supposed to read those? i just ate them along with the cookie

 
At 10:09 AM, January 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep them when they're relevant. I believe God can speak through little things like that.

 
At 10:14 AM, January 23, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Ok, apparently I'm the only one still suck in the 7th grade (thankfully Tim is, too) cause, um, we only read them so we can tack "in bed" to the end of them and giggle hysterically.

That does put the whole night life thing in better perspective, though, doesn't it? :D

 
At 12:55 PM, January 23, 2007, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Gwynne ~ I still have one it my wallet from about 7 or eight years ago... it says, "YOUR DREAM WILL COME TRUE WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT" Well... at this rate... it could be ANY TIME NOW! It also had six lottery numbers on it... could it be? Got to run go buy a TICKET NOW! See ya! ~ jb///

 
At 5:55 PM, January 23, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jennifer, that is a sweet one!

Rach, maybe because not very many Chinese people live in NZ? It's probably just an Americanization of Chinese culture, actually.

Badoozie, this could explain your "bad luck." ;-)

Stephen, maybe. But keeping them when you think they are relevant, is kind of like selective hearing, isn't it? ;-)

Beth, I forgot to try that on before posting this. Oops! Thanks for the giggle though. ;-)

LZ, so how'd that work for you? See, the problem is that you kept the fortune, reminding you daily that your dream might come true when you least expect it! Hellooo?! ;-)

 
At 8:37 PM, January 23, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

My fortunes are usually something like, "Don't rook now. Fly is open."

Sounds like you need a dose of umbrella drink-fueled karaoke!

 
At 10:48 AM, January 24, 2007, Blogger mis_nomer said...

"in bed" was the first thing I thought of too when I read your night life fortune. I must be stuck in 7th grade too ;)

i love how fortune cookies taste. yum!

your second fortune sent chills down my spine. that was sweet..

 
At 2:23 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Jenn said...

I'm also an "in bed" contributor to my fortune cookie message. It's pretty funny.

 
At 6:54 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Well, Foo, at least that is helpful. ;-)

Umbrella drinks, in my experience, never fuel much of anything but a sugar high, followed by a nap. Karaoke would surely kill me. My brother, on the other hand (the one in the pointy hood and Wallabies, on the training wheels) loves the karaoke.

You girls with your 7th grade humor...you are so bad! I made my own fortune cookies once (I'm sure this comes as no surprise...I think I was in 7th grade). I wish I still had those fortunes to share with you. Or not. 8-}

 
At 10:48 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Foo...shouldn't it be "don't rook now...fry is open?"

Well, out here in the way west world of Texas...you're supposed to read your fortune out loud, and then you have to add the words "in bed."

Not always the coolest thing to do, but hey, we need some entertainment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home