Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Gratuitous Shuffling

Today's trip to work on the iPod was an especially good set, one I thought worth sharing (I'm growing to love the shuffle; for once, the perfect set wasn't interrupted by gangsta rap or some other nefarious anomaly that always manages to weasle its way onto my iPod):
  1. Two Places at a Table, Rory Block (a great beginning; if you've never listened to traditional country blues, Rory is a good place to start as she does a great contemporary interpretation of the old Robert Johnson tunes and writes many of her own songs; she plays the guitar like it's a percussion instrument and is a great story teller)
  2. Maria Bonita, Placido Domingo (go ahead and laugh all ye non-opera fans, but until you've heard Placido sing the love songs, ye know not what love is ;-)
  3. Sing Alleluia, Jennifer Knapp (indeed, thank you Jennifer!)
  4. Dream A Little Dream, Chicago (not classic Chicago, but it fit into the inspirational theme of the day)
  5. When He Reached Down, Johnny Cash (I'm no country fan, but I've got more Johhny Cash tunes on my pod than any other artist and this, from his most simple and most poignant of all albums, his Mother's Hymn Book, is among the best)
  6. Knockin on Heaven's Door, Eric Clapton (an old favorite, off of an old album)
  7. Track 10 off of a Putumayo Zydeco collection (I've got 4 "Track 10s" on my iPod; I've since learned always to enter the other data manually when it doesn't load up automatically)
  8. I'm Ready, Muddy Waters (one of the true old country blues masters)
  9. Too Hot, Kool and the Gang (for funk, this song has a nice smooth jazzy hue to it)
  10. Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Peggy Lee (the perfect ending)
Happy Thanksgiving to you all and your families!

5 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, November 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your, ahem, dinner ;-)

 
At 12:32 PM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Jennifer! We won't be discussing the main course too much, but the side dishes should be very tasty. ;-)

 
At 3:22 PM, November 22, 2006, Blogger DarkoV said...

Gwynne!
3 "Hail Mary"'s
1 Lit candle

That should take away the sin of playing any Christmas music before the T-Day meal has been finished. I'm surprised you're playing so loose with the Xmas Atmos.

 
At 3:50 PM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

I repent, I repent! I did not intentionally play the Christmas music before T-day. ;-) It just happens sometimes, like when I was walking around Chicago last spring, and Judy Collins began singing Noel very loudly in my ears. I let it play through too, and even turned it up. It was kind of surreal to be humming Christmas carols while everyone else was, well, wasn't. But such is the risk one takes with the shuffle. I suppose I could make play lists that exclude the Christmas music, but that would require actual work.

 
At 1:20 AM, November 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

"Augean" indeed! I'll have to remember that. ;-)

Oh, and yes, I'm still waiting for the next Christmas tune to roll around. I just went and added a bunch more to the pod in hopes of improving the odds. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home