Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Accent? What Accent?

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
Boston
North Central
The South
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

The "lowest common denominator?" Well, alrighty then. Funny thing is I have lived in several parts of the country and picked up various accents along the way, none of which I'm aware of until I move to another place. Born in Tennessee, I spent most of 2nd grade, in Kansas, shaking the serious Southern drawl that was cause for some serious dissing on the playground. Moving from Kansas to CA in high school, I struggled with square roots in math class, not the way most people struggle with them, but in how I pronounced the word, "root" (I pronounced it like soot, not boot). Now that I'm back in the Midwest, folks in CA tell me I have a Midwestern "twang." Jim, is that true?

Via Jen, whose Northeastern accent I hope to hear one day.

5 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

I don't know why, but the English language and its dialects are endlessly fascinating to me. My result? The Inland North.

This, despite the fact that I've lived south of the Mason-Dixon Line for 76.086956521739130434782608% of my life. Don't you find that fascinating? Okay, so it is just me...

 
At 12:55 PM, November 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was almost all north central? weird, considering i was born and raised in the northwest....

 
At 3:07 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger DarkoV said...

Gwynne,
"And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."
Hmm? Were you ever in the Witness Protection Program, thus minimizing your vocal identity? And let's face it, what's a better career for being undercover than accountancy?

 
At 11:53 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, I am intrigued by that. Truly. I suppose if "The Inland North" is relative to the equator, then Dallas qualifies. But I'm guessing that you have been sneaking across the Mason Dixon line for years. All the cool people do this. ;-)

Susie, Idaho is pretty close to Montana, which is pretty close to North Dakota, which I'm guessing is "North Central," not to be confused with Comedy Central, which we all know is in Idaho. ;-)

Darko, now you've done it...gone and blown my cover! ;-)

 
At 7:56 AM, November 16, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Funny thing is I don't think I have a true Northeastern accent. And I say y'all a lot.

I'm a bit of a dialect cameleon - where I am for any length of time I tend to pick up hints of the local accent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home