Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Awkward Years

Via Anne, who started this torturous but humorous look back at those incredibly awkward years, the years in which our true character was no doubt formed. I'm too lazy to dig out a more formal class photo. This one, from the Age of Aquarius, will have to suffice (in which I look like an 11-year-old Janis Joplin living in a commune and partaking in an illegal activity...I really don't know what I was doing or where I was or why it warranted a picture, but here it is):

Seeing this picture reminds me why I found the act of smiling so embarrassing. I hated all those gaps in my teeth. I always smiled with my mouth closed, if at all. I decided that if I wanted more friends, I would need to smile more and ultimately had some cosmetic dentistry done to fix the gaps. The inventory of friends did not expand, but the self esteem improved.

You've gotta check out Foo's entry also. Hilarious! His 6th grade look is not entirely unfamiliar though...I was a few years older when I looked like this (it was Halloween, okay? And yes, I was old enough to be drinking legally):

Accountant

This picture reminds me that it's always best to stay on the other side of the camera.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Brave, brave woman. (And Foo is a brave, brave man.) I relate more to Foo's comment about the awkward decades...one could posit that they're actually not yet over for me. :)

 
At 9:38 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger DarkoV said...

(Note: this may be posted twice; some blogger error messaging stuff is going on today)

Your Casual Dress-Up Fridays are much more relaxed than ours. We don;t allow white sox...or flood pants...or hand-toted beer. Bow ties are o.k., if you've got the chutzpah to wear 'em.
Truth is, there is one certian dept. whose denizens have a proclivity for the flood pants. Must be they want to show off their sexy ankles.

 
At 9:52 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes....awkward in deed..i'm trying to play this game, but when i went downstairs to find the picture..in order to get to it, i had to clean up a bunch of stuff..i'm still not there!

 
At 10:57 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, the span of those two pictures did in fact cross the decades mark, so I too can relate to the "awkward decades." They're never really over, are they?

Darko, they finally had to outlaw the flood pants in our office too. Some people took them to extremes and wore them without the white sox, with sandals...oh, the indecency! But I always wear the bowtie because it makes me look more professional. Without it, people just don't take me seriously. The beer is just a prop to make me look cool and professional.

Susie, I can't wait for yours. I was not willing to go to the lengths that I'm sure you will, to get to the really good stuff. ;-)

 
At 3:54 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Gwynne, the first picture looks just like my parents' best friends' daughter when she was that age. The second one looks like a casting call for Revenge of the Nerds.

I feel free in saying that because it was only a costume, after all.

 
At 3:58 AM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Since we don't celebrate halloween, perhaps a photo of cute me in ballet outfit would suffice hehe?

 
At 12:39 AM, November 22, 2006, Blogger Anne said...

These pics are great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home