Sunday, September 03, 2006

World Trade Center

I've seen two movies lately...Snakes on a Plane and World Trade Center. Night and day. Two extremes on the spectrum of good and bad. It was a difficult decision to go see WTC, not because there was any doubt that I wanted to see it, but because I was in the mood for a light-hearted comedy. It's been a stressful week and I wasn't in the mood for more tears. On the other hand, there was nothing else showing that sounded even remotely interesting. So WTC it was. And there was only a small handful of people in the large theatre. Shame that.

What a great film! This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. Not because it captured the events of 9/11/01 in documentary fashion (though I was fascinated by the revelation that those closest to the disaster didn't have a clue how events were unfolding right above them), not because it brought back memories that had begun to fade (though I will admit that it did that), but because it captured the heart and soul of those who serve this country every day...our defenders and protectors. It's the kind of movie that renews your faith in your fellow man. It's about heroism.

And it felt good to cry about it. It certainly put the events of this past week into perspective. It's not until you break down a story of this magnitude into its smallest parts and tell the story of one or two individuals and their respective families that we can really feel the agony of those who were directly affected. And this movie did just that, without a political agenda. No conspiracy theories here.

I needed to see this movie and I encourage everyone else to see it too. Every once in awhile a movie is made that makes a difference and I think this is one of them. If nothing else, it will make you wonder, how far are you willing to go for your fellow man? How far could you push yourself to endure the unendurable, for the sake of your loved ones? How do you treat those you love when you are not in the throes of disaster (I thought they did a good job of addressing the subtle side story of the McLoughlin relationship very realistically and delicately)? Do not take them for granted. That's what I took away from it anyway.

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the movie also - and feel the same way you do.

 
At 5:33 PM, September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, thanks for this, because i was really not interested in seeing, it and rehashing everything, but if you say its good, i trust you.

 
At 1:24 PM, September 05, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

I agree with your assessment of the way the realities of the McLoughlin marriage were shown.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home