Sunday, August 27, 2006

Comair Flight 5191

I just got word that one of the partners on my team, with whom I work very closely, lost his daughter in today's tragic plane crash in Lexington, KY. She was only 18 and just beginning her college education. I last saw her at her grandfather's funeral (the funeral with the accordion player). She was beautiful and charming. I cannot imagine the tragic loss that her family and friends must now be experiencing. I pray that she might rest in peace and that her family, and the families of all of the other victims, might find some comfort in the midst of their grief...

Almighty God, Father of all mercies and giver of all comfort: Deal graciously, we pray thee, with those who mourn, that casting every care on thee, they may know the consolation of thy love, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Update: This gives me the shivers. I just learned that her mother was also scheduled to return home on the same flight but the flight was overbooked so she stayed behind to catch the next flight. They were in KY with her horse trainer to buy a horse. Her trainer was also on the plane. What a tragic story, but how much more tragic it could have been for this family. I know my partner is counting his blessings that he did not lose both his wife and daughter, however tragic the loss of his daughter.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Indeed, it's sad. I pray that I can find the right words and deeds to help. It's not easy.

 
At 8:09 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This breaks my heart for all involved.

I am reminded of a conversation I had with Dave's mom when I went to the cemetery with her. Her daughter Julie's been gone for 3 years so she's been going there often for that long and when you go often you meet the "regulars" and get to know their lost one's story. So very many of them are children. It's very difficult to think about how often the loss of a child happens.

Prayers for you and of course for them.

 
At 8:13 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwynne - remember that just being there is the foundation for anything else you might do. If God does choose to speak to your partner through you, all you need to do is be there with a kind heart.

I'll be praying for this family.

 
At 9:37 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

So awful. Lord have mercy.

 
At 10:27 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Gosh that's heartbreaking. I'll be keeping them in my prayers.

 
At 11:37 AM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Amen. :(

 
At 12:53 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks for all of your prayers.

Brian, thanks especially for that reminder. It is easy to feel helpless unless we are actively doing something but what you said is so true.

 
At 9:10 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

Oh gracious.. Joining you in prayer.

 
At 11:39 PM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent prayer...makes you think

 
At 11:41 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Anne said...

I live just outside Louisville, KY (about an hour from Lexington). This crash is just tragic. The local news here showed photos of some of the victims. Several of them were horse trainers/riders. The news said this evening it was pilot error - took the wrong runway for take-off.

I will be praying for your friend and his family.

 
At 5:39 PM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Susie, wish I could take credit for composing the prayer...but I agree that it makes you think...I like it a lot.

Anne, thank you for stopping in and for praying. :-)

And you too, Mis_nomer. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home