Saturday, December 20, 2008

Knock, Knock

Is anybody out there?

I know it's been awhile. I'm not myself lately. Life has been hard. Not as hard as it gets, by any means, but frustratingly challenging as compared to the easy life to which I've become accustomed. And while it might prove to be an interesting topic for the tabloids someday, I'm afraid I'm still so enveloped in the details that I can't muster up the strength to write about it. I'll let a few bullet points serve as a place marker for the day when I can look back and laugh. That day will come, right? Right?!

Yesterday marked my informal last day of gainful employment (yes, I realize this is a time when people are losing their long-time jobs and bemoaning the fact that they are woefully unemployed...and yet, somehow, I don't care). It's been a fast paced furious march towards the day that would really be my official last day...12/31/08 (but since I will be on vacation for the duration, yesterday was my informal "last day," and it went mostly unnoticed and uncelebrated by my co-workers, in part because there are so many loose ends that I will have to return to the office upon returning to clean things out...that, and I agreed to assist on a contract basis through 4/15 as long as I could work from home...so really? I'm not free yet). This march has involved a lot of lengthy transition conversations with clients and co-workers as well as year-end planning for my soon-to-be former clients. Along the way, I've had a number of conversations about outsourcing tax services to other CPAs as well as a few of my clients who prefer not to be "transitioned" to anyone else. And while I wasn't looking for this kind of work, the requests have offered some assurance that perhaps we won't go hungry.

November 4th marked the day we checked our daughter into outpatient drug rehab. While we were very disappointed to discover she had returned to a habit she developed before getting pregnant, we were optimistic when she acknowledged that she needed help and volunteered to seek treatment.

December 14th marked the day we committed to taking steps to obtain guardianship of our grandson when our daughter tested positive yet again for crystal meth...it has become painfully obvious that she can't work on recovery and parenting at the same time, especially when she is only partially committed to both...so we will do the parenting...and we pray that she will choose to commit to her recovery, but we're not very optimistic...this breaks our hearts, but we know she is in God's capable hands.

The vacation? Those with babies will, I think, appreciate the sheer insanity of this...we are currently en route to CA, and Seattle, starting in Kansas City...by car...with a 6 month old baby and his drug addict mother. The trip started just 5.5 hours ago. I'll update as I feel motivated, but so far, so good. I can only report that so far, the daughter and grandson have slept the entire way. The funny part is the luggage ratio. While the adults are carrying roughly 1/8 their body weight, the baby is packing roughly 10 times his...everything from clothes and blankets, diapers and formula to a crib, stroller and bathtub, and everything in between. Should we encounter a blizzard, we're all prepared to live on formula and wrapped in baby blankets for a few days.

Okay, that was a bit more than a bullet point list, but still...there's so much more...

But in all the "blah," Julian makes us smile and giggle every day. He's doing great, growing faster than a beansprout and making us happy. He's already 18 pounds and very healthy, according to his 6-month checkup last week.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Girlfriend!

Wow. That's quite the list of hard. What a hard discovery - but it sounds like things are turning around.

Good on you for pursuing the custody of Spartacus - you both are excellent parents and will help your daughter further become a good parent.

I'll be praying. Feel free to e-mail me when you need to talk or whatever.

 
At 7:59 AM, December 21, 2008, Blogger Lynellen said...

Thanks so much for the update! I'm praying for you all. Hang in there!

 
At 8:15 AM, December 21, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

Oh.

Gwynne.

I knew it had to be something to this effect. Many prayers from Linguiniland.

Vacation:
(To quote The Princess Bride)"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

 
At 8:26 AM, December 21, 2008, Blogger beth said...

I had been wondering and praying. I'm sorry things are so tough...I'll continue to pray that God shows you His fingerprints on this situation.

 
At 8:01 PM, December 21, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thank you all for your prayers...we are in need of them and won't refuse a good offer like that!

Sisiggy, heh. :-) Love that movie. And too true. We always manage to botch the meaning of "vacation."

Beth, you'd be laughing at your "fingerprints" comment (which I do appreciate as the heartfelt comment intended) if you could see the mess we made with fingerpaints the other day, trying to get Julian's fingerprints on some paper. ;-)

 
At 9:52 AM, December 22, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

I've wondered as well and was planning to email if no new post came soon. Thanks for the update and know that Beau and I are praying for you all.

 
At 4:00 AM, December 23, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Wow. That isn't an easy load to bear. I know you can and will bear it (because God never gives us more than we can handle) but I can imagine the sheer hard work it will be for you. Know that I'll be praying for you too. Anytime you have a prayer request (even in bullet point form), please email it through. Hugs...

 
At 9:35 AM, December 27, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

See, this is why I regret being so caught up in the demands of my work schedule that I've fallen away from not only my own blogging, but that of people I care about. I'm sorry to hear that what should have been an exciting new phase of your life has turned in such an unexpected and challenging direction.

Amping up the prayers in your direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home