Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Good & The Bad

Wow, what a week! I have spent a fair amount of time praying for peace this past week and a half, following The Big Screw-Up. I know some of you have been praying for me too (or crossing toes and fingers as the case may be), which is more than I deserve and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate that. On that path, things are progressing more positively than I could have expected though we still don't know what the IRS agent plans to do to me in the way of stringing me up for penalties. At least the client and my bosses and peers have been more than understanding (comments have ranged from "maybe I'll be living on a boat sooner than I thought" (that was me ;-), to "it was clearly a mistake, we all make them," to "don't beat yourself up too badly, we'll get the full deduction the following year," to "that's what malpractice insurance is for;" choke...I still don't like the sound of that). Anyway, thank you for your prayers.

Meanwhile, while I was lounging around at the El un-Del-Del, my brother emailed me to let me know that his architectural firm is on the hunt for a VP of Finance and would I be interested (he had not even seen my blog post yet, which I stupidly pointed him to, to show him how timely his question was, but inadvertently also telling him "better increase the malpractice insurance first." I would love to work in a creative environment but still be on the financial side of things (and only be responsible for one client!), so I am, um, thinking about updating the old resume and talking to them about it.

Then, we have one of my biggest IRS exams that has been underway for awhile coming to a close. I just sent in the final documentation for that today and spoke to the auditor. We are hoping for a no change on this one...we'll know for sure tomorrow so I better not jinx the outcome on that.

So, that's the Good.

Then we have the Hit 'Em While They're Down list, and I wish there were a way to put a positive spin on these things, but I received notice yesterday that a large gift tax return I signed is going to be audited, *sigh* and I received notice today that two very dear clients passed away last night. Two! In one day. I know Eric knows how this feels when you have worked closely with someone and suddenly, they are gone. Both had cancer, but both had fairly good prognosis and I had been working with them on estate planning matters to make sure their affairs were in order, etc. Thankfully, there were no items outstanding awaiting signatures or anything that I am aware of, but it saddens me to think that the outcome was not at all what we all prayed for and expected. There will be funerals to attend next week and lots of handholding for the surviving spouses.

The week has been further complicated by several companies that are selling their businesses and in need of Urgent Care.

And that's the Bad.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, June 21, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

Oh, wow. I guess it's my turn to give you the same encouragement you gave me: I know you'll be a blessing to those grieving families. It may or may not hit them immediately, but they'll eventually realize just how special it is to have an advisor who's wise in the ways of – and cares about – more than just accounting and taxes.

 
At 8:53 PM, June 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I get to say an inverted version of the comment I left at the Gazette:

Gwynne,

I'll simply second what Eric said.

 
At 10:00 PM, June 21, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

It never rains but it pours huh. I'll third what Eric says :).

 
At 6:42 AM, June 22, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Well, I guess I'll 4th it. (4th, not quarter, mind you.)

The good sounds, well, really good. The bad, not so much. (At least there was no ugly?)

 
At 9:11 AM, June 22, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Look, Gwynne, there is such a thing as too much excitement. You're making K.C. seem like the new Vegas.

...not to start talking about how you've transformed CPA work into the next pilot series to replace The Sopranos....

But, seriously, good wishes to you and I know your character will take you through these most "interesting" of times.

 
At 2:42 PM, June 22, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home