Monday, June 11, 2007

Things Not To Do

Speaking of things falling off the back of a truck (see previous post), today I followed an old flat bed truck in to work and cringed at the sight of a perfectly good looking dog perched on the back, amid contruction equipment and debris. We were travelling along at a good clip of oh, 75 mph (!) or so and every time the truck hit a slight bump or curve in the road, the dog wobbled. I tried to pass the truck so that I would not be the one to hit the dog when it fell off (I am sure this will be the dog's ultimate demise which is very, very sad but I did not want to be behind the truck when it happened), but the truck was going too fast and traffic was too congested to safely pass. So I tried just looking away...which may not be the safest way to drive, you know? So this is a public service announcement, or a request, no, make it a commandment...

Thou shalt not drive with dogs on the back of a flat bed...I don't care if you do tether it to the truck in some way...I do not want to witness or be a party to your dog's death by way of mutilation or strangulation.

Thank you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

I've never understood this practice, and I cringe every time I see it – which is pretty often, unfortunately.

 
At 8:51 PM, June 11, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Yup, out here in West Texas it is the equivalent of a little bobbing dog in the back window of an old car.

One of my best friends was in a head-on and his biggest loss wasn't the intense personal injuries he incurred, but the loss of his best friend, his pup, who always rode on the toolbox. Sad deal.

 
At 6:11 AM, June 13, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

That's odd. I'd rather do everything I can do to keep my dog safe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home