Friday, June 08, 2007

The Front Porch

Update: I did a lot of yard work today. Have I ever mentioned how much I detest yard work? No? Well, let me tell you. I detest yard work. Except for when I detest accounting even more and then I claim that I'd rather be a gardener. I do love flowers. I sometimes think I'd like to operate a flower cart on a busy city street corner but that's really neither here nor there. Anyway, I'm updating this post to show the lilies I found on the side of the house today. These usually make their appearance around July so they came as a complete surprise. Must be global warming. ;-) Also, the hanging flora is hanging no more. That is what happens when you don't water them. Who knew?! I also traded out my "Front Porch" and "Hibiscus" photos and added one more. So there you go.

Day Lilies! (hidden behind the air conditioner)


Look at what's growing on my front porch! Beth started this "meme" awhile back. My flowers are never the neighborhood showcase. In fact, I'm doing real good just to pull the stumps that were last year's hibiscus out of their pots and plant something new. Now, I'll be doing real good to keep these few pots watered throughout the summer. It's a far cry from roses, but it's all I've got. And it was a rough start, what with the freezing temps early on. The peonies (not pictured here) were but a shadow of their former showy selves this year. So here is my...

Front Porch (and Smokey waits to go outside)


Hibiscus (my favorite because they bloom all summer!)

Azalea (it froze and is only now greening up again) and Zinnias

Violets (these also froze and were left for dead...now look at them!)

Hanging Flora (red, white and blue)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, June 09, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Ooh! Pretty :) I like the hibiscus as well - I don't have any, but may have to look into them. Are they pretty hardy?

 
At 2:58 PM, June 09, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

The hibiscus are very hardy and enjoy lots of sun, so for my south-facing porch, this is a favorite for that reason as well.

 
At 4:21 PM, June 09, 2007, Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Those are beautiful lilies! And the rest of your flowers are beautiful as well. Love the mixed red/white/blue...

 
At 9:09 PM, June 09, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Very pretty flowers :).

 
At 3:42 PM, June 10, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Flowers are nice and all, but I can't keep them alive either. Turtle would like to have more landscaping, but between my defective spine and a feeling that I'd rather spend my time in other ways, that's just not going to happen. At least, not until we're both working so we can hire people to take care of the flora.

But what I really wanted to say is that your porch looks so homey. The perfect place to sip something cold, have a chat, and watch the neighbors do their yard work.

 
At 12:30 PM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

The perfect place to sip something cold, have a chat, and watch the neighbors do their yard work.

And that's just what I did after pulling weeds...only without the chat part, replacing the chat with a good book. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home