Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Perfect Rainy Day

What fun! I joined up with a friend at a local coffee shop on Saturday morning, to admire her artwork on exhibit there and then to her home to work on an "art project" that she lined up for us while our husbands worked. It was a rainy Saturday and this was the perfect way to spend it. In addition to art supplies, she had lined up a full spread of crackers and soft Danish cheeses, olive tapenade, and nacho cheese Chex Mix (yes, yes, we know, that's part of the fun...we would serve tater tots with filet mignon if we thought the guests would understand that it's supposed to be a joke). We topped it off with a small bottle of iced wine (a very sweet white dessert wine that tastes like fruit cocktail syrup) and dark chocolate M&Ms. Mmmm...

I helped assemble the art materials on the dining table while she laid out the food fixin's:

"Art Class"

Still Life W/ Feather Boa, and Halloween Mask

Then we got right down to the business of art:

But First, a Glass of Wine


The Finished Products (mine, trying unsuccessfully to hang with some real art)

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Sounds like fun! Like the art!

 
At 7:30 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

I started to say, "How fun... in a very girly sort of way." But then I remembered that until I got married and Turtle shamed me out of such immature pasttimes, I used to get together with a couple buddies to do something similar. Except it was a drop cloth on the ping-pong table, Shiner Bock beer, a couple bags of chips, and we were painting inch-high futuristic toy soldiers.

We didn't have cool masks, though.

 
At 8:35 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Very fun. :) What a great way to spend a rainy day.

 
At 9:09 AM, May 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a couple of sips of that wine had quite an effect on you.

 
At 9:14 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger sgazzetti said...

I like it. I also like the sound of "white wine that tastes like fruit cocktail syrup".

 
At 9:59 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger mis_nomer said...

I'm with Jim!

 
At 12:18 PM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, you must know my brother then. ;-)

Jim, if you're referring to the dazed and confused look on my face, that was caused more by the discovery that I only have two teeth. That, and confronting a blank canvas. The full force of the wine didn't kick in until later. ;-)

Sgazetti, I propose a toast to your latest victory! The syrup goes nicely with satin pajamas. ;-)

 
At 1:48 PM, May 28, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

IMHO, as Wine-based Art, it holds up quite well.

Wasn't there an album/cd cover on one of Steve Earle's cd's that had the heart thing happening. El Corazon, perhaps?

 
At 3:03 PM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

That photo -- the third from the bottom -- my eyes! my eyes!

 
At 12:52 PM, May 29, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Darko, I like to think my depiction isn't quite as anatomically correct (or damaged) as the one on El Corazon. ;-)

Eric, sorry about that! Hey, it's better than live serpents, okay? ;-)

 
At 9:02 PM, May 30, 2007, Blogger Jenn said...

Now that is good fun. Art, girlfriends, wine and food. Does it get any better? Oh, and which picture is of you (two teeth, I'm guessing?)

I like your picture...or should I say I [heart] your picture.

 
At 9:25 PM, May 30, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Does it get any better?

No, it really doesn't. But the best part? We weren't wearing panty hose. ;-)

And I am the one that does not look like Rachel Ray. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home