Friday, May 25, 2007

Project Whenever (My Husband's Briefcase)

Last weekend, MBH and I discussed the marital concept of unity, how all of our money should go into one bucket, instead of the multiple buckets we have always maintained...right now, there's "my bucket," (for music and jewelry acquisitions...oh please, we're not talking diamonds, people) "your bucket" (for the sailboat acquisition) and "our bucket" (for food, clothing, pets and shelter). Every married couple does this to some extent, right? Well, try as we might, we don't seem to be able to break this habit, so we talked about needing just "one bucket." So today, he brings home "his" paycheck in this bucket (the bucket was empty except for the check). It made me laugh. After I finished doing his bookkeeping, I loaded up his bucket with all of his stuff...bank deposit, payroll checks for his employees, pad of paper, notebook and envelope with outstanding bids and contracts). Who needs a briefcase? This suits him just fine. He was very pleased.

One bucket. We're working on it. :-)


My Husband's Briefcase

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those buckets are great - you can do anything with 'em. I didn't know "accounting" was one of those things, but why not?

 
At 6:09 PM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

We kicked the buckets a few years into our marriage. What's mine is hers, and what's hers is, um, hers. It works out really well that way. ;-)

 
At 8:03 PM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

Nice. Perfect for a man in his line of work.

And we've got the same kind of bucket as eric has. Except it's Home Depot orange.

 
At 4:17 PM, May 26, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Excellent briefcase. Plus you can put lunch in there easily, as well. :)

Having gotten married just out of college, the idea of having separate buckets was silly (given that we needed every penny just to make rent). I imagine any kind of transition like that is tough though.

 
At 9:01 AM, May 27, 2007, Blogger DarkoV said...

Just Onequestion.

Does it come in leather?

 
At 2:01 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, I think that might be my husband's understanding of our arrangement as well. I don't argue with that. ;-)

Beth, we did (put lunch in there)! :-)

Does it come in leather?

Certainly, but then it becomes a purse. ;-)

 
At 3:32 PM, May 30, 2007, Blogger Bret said...

Just the thought of Home Depot selling man purses, well, yuck.

I suspect you're in the majority, based on a totally unscientific survey of friends, relatives, and countrymen, none of whom I've ever lent an ear. But ours has always been in one bucket. Both of us came from one bucket families, and it never made any sense to us to do it differently, even though we came into the merger with vastly different perspectives in this arena.

On the down side, it totally ruins the idea of an intra-marital wager or challenge, since whether you win or lose, you win and lose.

On the other hand, that's probably a good thing, and it allows us to laugh about who's treating whom to lunch.

Good luck on the transition. Speaking as a semi-professional marriage counselor and advocate, I think it's the healthiest approach.

 
At 8:37 PM, May 30, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Bret, thanks for the "semi-professional" (and wise) advice. I absolutely believe it's the healthiest approach, as does my husband. We've only used this in limited doses as a way to avoid confrontation over certain fiscal matters, mostly small. It became an item up for discussion when I suggested we might use some of "the" sailboat fund to pay our taxes this year and you would have thought I was trying to steal candy from a child. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home