Saturday, September 30, 2006

Random Saturday

I was going to show you a picture of what I did today. It was very dangerous and a little scary, but not nearly as scary as this, freshly dug up from the archives. Now, this is scary:



This was taken in Croatia in 1993. We were visiting my husband's family. There's nothing like rolling out of bed and grabbing one of these to put a giddy smile on your face. I look very menacing, don't you think? You'd hate to run into this in a dark alley. I had not yet had my coffee if that explains anything at all. Yes, that is my nightgown.

In all seriousness though, the weapon I am holding (an AK-47 automatic rifle) was loaded (which is why my finger is not on the trigger) and belonged to my husband's nephew who was headed out the door to fight in the Croatian war against Serbia. He was killed with this gun in his hands less than 2 years later. May he (and his cousin, also killed the same day) rest in peace.

Rather than leave you with that sad thought, I'll be back on Sunday to report on the weekend's events which will include my first ever NASCAR race. My husband was invited by a contractor he works for and I'm expected to come along as well. I'm planning to take a book to read...do you think that is too rude?

9 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, October 01, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

My favorite thing is the cross around your neck.

So, where are the combat boots?

 
At 2:07 PM, October 01, 2006, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I have some photos of me holding air soft guns. We have family air soft tournaments where my teenagers and hubby do their best to make me feel PAIN by pelting me with air soft pellets. I look about as tough as you do.
I'd say we are both hopeless in the tough department.

How very sad about your cousin dying with that very gun in his hands. It's a terrible thing.

NASCAR?? I hope you brought your chewing tobacco and slapped on a couple of fake tattoos in order to fit in with the crowd.

 
At 10:37 PM, October 01, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Where are my boots?! That was the question I asked. ;-) The Birkinstocks lend a more pastoral look though, don't you think, along with the cross? Leave it to me to wear the wrong shoes to a war. Sheesh.

Jamie Dawn, hopeless is right. ;-) How painful can "air soft" pellets be anyway? I've never tried that one, but being in a room with my family and telling them to shoot doesn't seem wise.

It is very sad that my husband's nephews lost their lives with this or any gun, but I know from talking to them that they were willing to give their lives for the freedom that Croatia now enjoys. There was no question in their minds that it was what they had to do and they fought voluntarily. But such is the tragedy of war.

 
At 8:00 AM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the book idea is not rude. smile a lot during reading it...as for that pic? that is very er..contradictory in nature if i say so....

 
At 10:04 AM, October 03, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Eric. And you know, now that you mention it, perhaps I'll share a little more of the back story. There's some good testimony in it. At least, I think it's good. ;-)

 
At 11:36 PM, October 08, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

That is a hilariously incongruous photo.

I would love to hear a bit more of the back story 'cos when it is in a paragraph like that, it is incredibly sad..

 
At 11:04 AM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Yes, I think the back story deserves to be heard. I'll be back to deliver that shortly.

 
At 7:28 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger DarkoV said...

Caught your comment over at Texas Trifles and then noticed your pipc that you attached to your profile. As a born-in-Croatia American, I did a double-take. That is the outside walls of Dubrovnik behind you, right? What part of Croatia is your husband from? And, yes, I'd be interested in your back story of this particular photo as well.

 
At 10:49 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Welcome, Darko! You are right! Those are the outside walls of Dubrovnik. My husband is from Senj, on the coast, a few hours north of Split. Senj is also surrounded by the requisite thick stone walls...and a moat. ;-)

Where in Croatia were you born?

There's more back story of this photo (or at least the circumstances surrounding the time period in which the photo was taken) in my latest post.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home