Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Plaza Art Fair

Yesterday, we attended the Plaza Art Fair, Kansas City's best and largest art fair. There are always great artists from around the country and I always come away with something, usually from an up and coming (aka "inexpensive but not cheap") artist. This year's find was a perfume bottle by a Fort Collins, CO artist named Karl Yost. All of his pottery looks like found objects* (driftwood, eroded seashells, animal bones). In his words, "something so perfectly designed, it seems to have been created for the sole purpose of beauty." He does a remarkable job of bringing that beauty to light. I won't put perfume in this, but I like the fact that it is functional that way.



* I have an affinity for found objects. The dashboard of my Tahoe is adorned with objects found on both coasts and many points in between; here is a snippet:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home