Monday, September 25, 2006

Refrigerator Re-boot

Some (my "regular" readers) may recall that we bought a new refrigerator recently. Of course, we did not purchase the Best Buy service plan which, if I cared to look at their annual report, is probably where Best Buy makes most of their profits, but not off of me...nope. I prefer to "self-insure" which means sometimes, we are going to have to pay the piper, just not at the time of purchase. Fortunately, this time, we're still covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

For the last couple of weeks, we noticed the milk going bad and the vegetables rotting faster than usual (granted, I always throw away more vegetables than we eat, but still...I turned the temp control up to maximum coldness and still...muchos rottening). This begat muchos noise. For days, we have noticed the fan or some other inner workings of the refrigerator getting louder and louder, until today when I could no longer ask myself with a straight face, "I wonder if that is normal?"

I called Best Buy's service department, who referred me to a local contractor (who...surprise! is not yet qualified to work on Samsung refrigerators...I knew this was coming when we decided to buy a Samsung refrigerator...knew it! But we bought it anyway...hrmph). The contractor referred me to Samsung's 800 number which I dutifully called and was pleasantly surprised to find myself speaking to a pleasant English speaking Samsung employee.

He took down my information and then said, "Before we send out a technician, I'd like to try a few trouble shooting ideas first." He asked, "What kind of noise is your refrigerator making?" I told him, "Basically, it sounds like a jet airplane getting ready for take-off." I did. I told him this, because this is true. And then, he suggested that I try unplugging the refrigerator, leave it unplugged for 3-6 minutes, then plug it back in and reset the temperature controls. He said that sometimes the computer (the computer?! Oy!) just needs to be re-booted. I shared with him my skepticism that really, the noise it is making is just awful and I'm afraid to leave the house (or stay in the house for that matter) and really, couldn't he just arrange for a technician to come out right away, before all of our food spoils (speaking of which, did I tell you about the lamb we bought on Saturday?!) I told him I was just sure it was a mechanical problem of some kind. He assured me that if this didn't work, he would send someone out right away.

I unplugged the refrigerator, went to take a shower, came back and plugged it back in, set the "power cool" thing-a-ma-jig to the proper temperatures and waited. And waited. And now, 5 hours later, the refrigerator is nice and cool...and QUIET! Color me shocked! And happy. :-)

10 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

Color me skeptical. Either 1. Samsung has dealt with this problem many times before and hence the tech guys no-hesitation solution, or 2. You'll be defenstrating lot of rotten vegetables and botulated meat tomorrow.

I'll be hoping for the former.

 
At 3:26 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. Jim, I'm afraid you may be right. As soon as I posted that, I checked the temperature again before I went back to work...it was back up to 53 degrees (as opposed to the desired 40)...but at least it was still quiet. Yes, by tomorrow, it will probably be singing its swan song again and I'll be defenestrating the entire refrigerator...that is, if it will fit through the window. ;-)

 
At 5:38 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

The computer with it's delusions of grandeur exisiting as a 747 display panel instead fell short and squarely landed in a Samsung Refrigerator.

My advice.

Treat it kindly in the next couple weeks. It's dreams have been shattered. Paper and magnet with care and clean the door regularly insuring the fact, as it will soon realize, that life really is all that and a jug of milk.

 
At 5:39 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

By the way, not selling, not moving. All is well in the world.

 
At 6:04 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, you crack the rest of us up too. ;-)

I think Emma is right. The fridge has some self-esteem issues. Perhaps with some love and counseling, she'll view her role of providing cold milk and protecting the lamb as an important one. Otherwise, out the window she goes!

I knew we shoulda bought a Whirlpool. :-\

 
At 6:35 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I think a swift kick to the rear is in order. That or threats of replacements with a Kenmore (have I told you about my very awesome refrig that I adore? Cause I'll jabber to strangers about it, so I'm guessing you probably already know about it, but just in case...)

That aside, it's not normal to have to reboot a refrig.

 
At 6:43 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, oh yeah, we talked about that last time. You and your fancy schmancy french door refrigerator (that I'm sure you've never had to reboot). ;-)

We'll see how it goes, but a swift kick in the rear might be in order, right before the defenestration begins. ;-)

 
At 9:31 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I wish our downstairs fridge problem was as simple as rebooting. The computer problem would have been that simple had I thought to unplug my charging cell phone before starting it up. It was trying to boot from the cell hehe.

 
At 12:05 AM, September 26, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rach, let me get this straight...you were rebooting your fridge off of your cell phone??? Or is the fridge problem separate from the computer problem?

 
At 12:37 AM, September 29, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Sorry, I must have written that really early in the morning hehe. Talking about two different things hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home