Sunday, September 24, 2006

10 Things My Parents Taught Me

I've been tagged, by Denise, of Blue Sky in Texas! I think this one deserves some thought. So, without further ado,

10 Things My Parents Taught Me:

1 - Both of my parents taught me that whether I passed or failed, what mattered most was that I did my best (when I asked them what would happen if I failed 2nd grade, they said they would still love me and all they expected of me was my best effort...then they said they knew I would not fail, so I guess you could also say that they gave me confidence...I don't remember why I was so worried about flunking 2nd grade).

2 - My mom taught me how to sew and more importantly, how to make things with my own hands (she still has the first dress I made, at the age of 5, and I actually wore it to school)

3 - My dad taught me to go above and beyond expectations and do things right (I remember writing a children's book in 7th grade and he had a binding machine at his office, so he bound my book for me...my teacher was impressed and sent the book off to a publisher...I never saw the book again).

4 - My mom taught me to treat everyone as an equal, with respect and kindness; she is always kind and always pleasant to everyone around her. She is blind to symbols of status and power, or lack thereof.

5 - My dad taught me to do things with passion and gave me a passion for books and travel.

6 - Both of my parents taught me to appreciate the value of art in all forms...my dad is an architect and my mom is a painter...both are very talented and inspiring to me.

7 - My dad taught me a love of the outdoors...camping, hiking, fly-fishing, canoeing, sailing (heh), bicycling, etc.

8 - My mom taught me to appreciate the beauty and perfection of nature, of animals, of thunderstorms, of waterfalls and birds singing in the morning.

9 - My dad taught me that it is important to be balanced and well-rounded, to study the humanities as well technical and professional skills.

10 - My mom taught me the value of working hard and never taking my job for granted.

These are the things they taught me. I don't always execute what I have been taught, but I do think about these things a lot and try to incorporate them in my daily life. I owe my parents a lot, for the valuable lessons they have given (and are still giving) me. I only pray that I am able to pass along half of these lessons to my step-daughters.

Thanks, Denise, that was a fun meme for a Sunday afternoon. :-)

I now tag Beth, Rachel, and Brian.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Annie578 said...

I confess I haven't lived up to everything my parents taught me either.

I don't have any of the things I made when I first learned to sew. I think they all made the Goodwill box. :)

 
At 2:52 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I will do this, I did see it yesterday - I'll just do my wrap up post first if that's okay :).

 
At 7:36 AM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, this sounds good. your parents sound good. if i wrote one of these, the word "taught" would be used loosely. i'm thinking about that right now, and i'm not sure what to say

 
At 9:34 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Denise, 100% of everything else I made is also now at the Goodwill, but I still have my sewing machine. ;-)

Rach, oh, all right. If we must wait, I suppose we can. ;-)

Susie, I was blessed with very good parents...for that, I am thankful! Sadly, I realize not everyone has had the same experience and yet, it amazes me how people still manage to rise above that and live better lives in spite of their parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home