Saturday, June 10, 2006

Jennifer's Meme

A few days ago, Jennifer (of Jennifer's Nest - see link in post title), proposed a list of questions that ought to be asked in lieu of so many silly emails currently traveling around the world...questions to which we might really like to know the answers. I liked her list of questions and thought I'd attempt to come up with some answers...so here are her questions (and my answers):

1. When you meet someone new do you trust them or do they have to earn your trust? I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, sometimes to a fault.

2. What do you pay attention to when you meet someone or visit with someone you know? Their eyes and what they have to say...I’m looking for intelligent life and a sense of humor.

3. When you were in high school or college what did you want to be when you grew up? Something important. But I didn’t know what that was. I ended up an accountant by accident. There’s always the next life in which to be something important, I guess.

4. If you could have any career now what would it be? Career? I’m looking for ways to dump the career and do something FUN with my life! Traveling and writing about the things I learn along the way would be my ideal “career.”

5. Name a life changing moment that made your life better. Accepting Jesus as my savior

6. Name a life changing moment that changed your life for the worse. I honestly can't think of any such moments. I am blessed!

7. Are you a homebody or a gypsy? Definitely a gypsy! But I don’t wear bells or wander about with everything I own in a cart.

8. What do you collect? Roseville pottery, antique Sacred Heart & Immaculate Heart prints

9. Do you have a recurring dream or nightmare? Not that I can remember (I wish I could remember my dreams...they are mostly pleasant; I rarely have nightmares)

10. Why did your parents give you the name they did? It means fair, lovely white one. I have lived up to the “white” part.

11. What motivates you? Recognition for a job well done (this makes me want to do it again)

12. What scares you? Sounds that go bump in the night when I’m alone (or think I’m alone)

13. What three things do you need most day to day? Love, laughs, prayer

14. What do you think God is like? All mighty, all seeing, all powerful

15. What do you read? Almost anything, except science fiction, and historical non-fiction. I especially love travel essays (or memoirs) and I should be better about reading the Bible daily.

16. Name at least one book you’ve read that’s influenced your philosophy. Obviously, the Bible, but aside from that, maybe Plato’s version of The Last Days of Socrates (this helped me bridge some of the gaps between Faith and Reason, or maybe to see the gaps and to understand the serious limits of Reason)

17. What thrills you? BIG roller coasters and traveling to exotic lands

18. What do you struggle with repeatedly? Waking up early...I really wish I could be a morning person and a night owl, but I require 7 solid hours of sleep, sometimes more.

19. What makes you laugh? A really dry sense of humor; either that, or a really goofy sense of humor, like Mr. Bean or Monty Python

20. What makes you cry? Sporting events, dog shows (I cried just this morning when Cocoa, a Norwich Terrier won Best of Show at Crufts Dog Show...she’s just such a sweet little bitch), horse races (horses should not be made to work so hard), animal movies, anger, and loss

Now, you try it. Or not. If you want to. I won't push.


UPDATE (Jennifer updated her list of questions with a few additions, and has now posted her own answers):

21. What do you want your life to look like in 5 years?
Less stressful work; less stressful parenting (I've deliberately chosen not to blog about the challenges of parenting teenagers, but it's amazing that the human species survives the teen years)

22. What is one thing you would like to achieve before you die?
Hmmm...I'd like to travel around the world, see every continent, or something like that. But if I really think about it, seriously, my real goal is to reach a point where I know I have done my best to make a difference...to leave a legacy of some kind, however small.

23. What talents do you have?
That's a tough one. I am my toughest critic, so my initial response is "none." But I like to think that my number one talent is having a "can do" attitude. I believe that I can do whatever I set my mind to doing...whether that's solving a problem, learning a new hobby (I think I might have some untapped artistic talent but have only explored this in limited doses...silversmithing; beadwork; sewing; painting; glassblowing; music...piano, violin, flute; photography), entering a new career, learning to sail around the world (see #22). I also think I have higher than average diplomacy skills. Is that a talent? I'm grasping at straws here on #23. ;-)

24. Which one is your favorite and why? Ummm, my artistic leanings (let's not call it talent) because I love art. Art gives our life dimension. But my diplomacy skills have probably served me best.

25. What’s one thing you don’t think other people know about you that you would like them to know? Even though I enjoy my alone time and keep to myself a lot, I really do like people and want to be a better friend and family member.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

What, you didn't add in my questions (shakes head)hehe. Glad you posted this because I feel like I know you better :).

 
At 4:55 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh, I thought about it, but yours were too hard! ;-)

 
At 7:43 PM, June 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

12. What scares you? Sounds that go bump in the night when I’m alone (or think I’m alone)

It's the ones when you think you're alone but find out you're not that I don't like...

 
At 7:57 PM, June 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, Gwynne. Thanks for playing:-)

 
At 8:40 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

she’s just such a sweet little bitch

I've always said that about.... nevermind.

 
At 3:44 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian, exactly!

Jennifer, it was fun!

Jim, I couldn't help but use the word that the Cruft show announcers used so casually. I'm afraid your wife might not appreciate it so much. ;-)

 
At 3:45 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Oh, and Rachel? See the update. ;-)

 
At 4:04 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

#4 This is what I want to do when kids leave home. Rick Steve's has nothing on me.

#5 rocks. It's mine too.

#8 Roseville pottery is gorgeous! I have some McCoy I am selling for one of my best friends, Dapoppins
I have learned a great deal about pottery in doing so.

#19 Shows me that we have been separated from birth. Im sure of it.

 
At 5:44 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Emma, I could tell by reading your profile that we have a few things in common. Love your sense of humor! I like McCoy pottery also, and have a few pieces because I used to be an Ebay addict. ;-) I'll check out Dapoppins' site.

 
At 6:52 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger beth said...

See now, I have some Roseville (and McCoy, actually) and adore it. I knew you were good people. :)

This is tempting...but it's soooo long. Maybe I'll do it in pieces.

 
At 5:05 PM, June 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

see, i have no idea what roseville and mccoy is, but mr bean and monty python, well THAT i get!!

you are a very interesting person with tons of skills. makes me feel like i really have no skills, maybe i need to hone some skills. hmmmmmm

 
At 5:24 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

you are a very interesting person with tons of skills

Oh, Susie, you are verry funny. When's the last time you saw Miss America win on her "diplomacy" skills?

 
At 9:51 AM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Lyn said...

Whew! Lots of thought went into this - I wrote at Beth's that I'll probably just tackle 5 Qs a week. It takes me awhile to think through how I want to respond to some of them. lol, lgp

 
At 8:34 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Well, maybe I didn't put enough thought into this. I think the results are more sincere if you just whiz right through it like I did. None of this "5 Qs a week" stuff from a smart guy like you! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home