Monday, June 05, 2006

Introducing Cocoa (Speaking of Sheep)

I've still not put up the doggie photo roll, mostly due to fear it will further slow things down. But, here is Cocoa, brother of Smokey, both Australian Shepherds (both would love to have some pet sheep). Like Jim, we tried unsuccessfully to shave Cocoa for summer. His winter coat had turned into something like a shedding musk ox and was none too appealing. After several failed attempts, we paraded him through PetSmart, partially shaved and looking like something we pulled out of the garbage, and waited for an appointment with a professional groomer.

Before (before the winter coat became a matted case of dreadlocks):




After (after being sedated and given a proper grooming):



Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Very cute doggie! It shouldn't slow things down much at all because the photos won't be very big!

 
At 7:01 AM, June 06, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Oooh. Pretty boy! Or, um, Handsome boy! I just want to scritch him!

That said, what's with shaving the dogs? I think my dogs would kill me if I tried to shave them...plus I think they would look really silly. Maybe certain breeds can handle it and others can't?

How many do you have?

 
At 8:42 AM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Very handsome.

 
At 10:10 AM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rach, really? I may still take you up on your offer of help in figuring out how to do so. I'll e-mail you when I'm ready. Thanks!

Beth, I've heard that Shelties should not be shaved because they would lose their beautiful coat (the silky hair that has the color in it). So yes, some breeds are more suited than others. But even then, we have two Aussies right now and this one has the driest, wooliest coat of any I've ever seen. We try putting oil on his food, etc, but nothing works. I'll see if I can find an "ugly" picture of him (I really missed a good photo op when he was partially shaved). We don't shave Smokey anymore because his hair is silky and stays nice through the summer. The silky hair actually keeps them cooler, so they say.

Jen, thanks! And I refrained from putting up another picture that makes him look fat, thinking of Annie and how everyone teased her about being fat. ;-)

 
At 10:57 AM, June 06, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Ok, that makes me feel better - I was wondering if we were torturing the girls by not letting them express their creativity through a shave. ;) They stay inside most of the time anyway, so as they live in air conditioned comfort I can't see them needing the coolness.

 
At 5:41 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Lyn said...

Try shaving a cat! lol...
Lookin' good. I like that breed even though I'm a 2 cat person right now. lgp

 
At 6:14 PM, June 06, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Shaving a cat is like signing your own death certificate, I think. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home