Monday, May 29, 2006

Bravo's Top 100 Funniest Movies List

Eric started it. Bravo reran this today. So, here it is. Bravo's "top 100 funniest movies of all time." Obviously, they didn't include a lot of old classics and you've gotta wonder if some of these newer ones will even be remembered in a few years, but here it is, in its entirety:

100 Anchorman ****
99 Birdcage **
98 School of Rock
97 Happy Gilmore **
96 Four Weddings and A Funeral **
95 Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle @
94 Waiting for Guffman ****
93 The Aristocrats
92 Father of the Bride ****
91 Revenge of the Nerds **
90 Clueless **
89 Slapshot
88 Team America
87 Kentucky Fried Movie *
86 Zoolander
85 Dirty Rotten Scoundrels **
84 Silver Streak ***
83 Sister Act ***
82 Tootsie **
81 Half Baked @
80 Lost in America ***
79 Three Amigos ***
78 Bananas ***
77 Flirting With Disaster @
76 Ghostbusters ***
75 Dumb & Dumber *
74 Trading Places
73 City Slickers ***
72 Moonstruck ***
71 Roxanne ***
70 The Nutty Professor * (top honors for flatulence scenes)
69 Blues Brothers *****
68 Broadcast News
67 King Pin
66 Dazed and Confused @ *
65 Office Space
64 Spinal Tap @ *
63 Manhattan **
62 The Pink Panther ***
61 Election
60 When Harry Met Sally ***
59 Police Academy Series *
58 Private Benjamin
57 Swingers
56 Young Frankenstein *****
55 Bull Durham **
54 Ferris Beuller’s Day Off ***
53 Dr. Strangelove
52 Meet the Parents ***
51 National Lampoon’s Vacation *****
50 The Princess Bride *****

49 American Pie *
48 American Grafitti **
47 9 to 5 **
46 The Incredibles
45 Raising Arizona ***
44 Sixteen Candles ***
43 What About Bob ***
42 Harold & Maude *****
41 Austin Powers ***
40 Monty Python and the Holy Grail *****
39 Mrs. Doubtfire **
38 Best in Show **
37 Dodgeball
36 Good Morning Vietnam ***
35 Beetlejuice ****
34 Rushmore
33 Clerks @
32 Groundhog Day ***
31 Big Leobowski
30 The 40-Year Old Virgin
29 Legally Blonde **
28 Annie Hall ***
27 A Fish Called Wanda *****
26 Wayne’s World @ **
25 Meet the Fockers **
24 Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure @
23 Big
22 Beverly Hills Cop ***
21 Shampoo
20 The Jerk ****
19 The Wedding Crashers **
18 Stripes **
17 M*A*S*H
16 Old School
15 Fast Times at Ridgemont High *
14 Napoleon Dynamite ****
13 Naked Gun Series *
12 The Producers ***
11 PeeWee’s Big Adventure *
10 Arthur **
9 Blazing Saddles **** (the Godfather of flatulence scenes)
8 The Wedding Singer
7 Ace Ventura, Pet Detective ***
6 Airplane *
5 South Park *
4 There’s Something About Mary ***
3 Shrek ***
2 Caddyshack *****
1 Animal House ****

Egregious omissions from the list:

A Christmas Story *****
The Gods Must Be Crazy *****

My Big Fat Greek Wedding ****
Up in Smoke @ ***
Princess Diaries ****
Some Like it Hot ****
L.A. Story ***

First, I have to believe there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the ordering of these choices. There is just no way that Blues Brothers falls below the top 50 while Legally Blonde is in the top 50. And Monty Python at #40 is just plain wrong…clearly this is one of the Top 10 best movies of all time, not just funny movies. Anchorman doesn’t belong at #100 either…that was clearly one of the funniest movies made in the last few years and should stand the test of time. Next, there is a disproportionate number of low-brow, frat boy humor flicks (not that I’m above this type of humor, but still) and even worse, stoner/heavy metal flicks (I’ve noted these with a “@”) and many contain extreme flatulence scenes (for the record...just sayin).

I’ve put stars by the films I’ve seen (one star means it’s lousy, but I’ve seen it; 5 stars is Top 10 quality). I reserve the right to make revisions to my original top 10 at any time. ;-)

Apparently Ben Stiller has a nice contract w/ Bravo. What else could explain the number of times he appears on this list?

I’m surprised at the number of movies in the top 50 that I have not seen.

Bravo sure repeats itself a lot with its trailers and recaps...sheesh! I think I’ve had enough TeeVee for one week.

25 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

honestly, if you think that South Park and Airplane are lousy you should be shot. And just because Clerks has Jay and Silent Bob in it doesn't mean its a stoner flick. And the biggest omission of all is definately the cult classic Orgazmo, Trey Parker's first movie.

 
At 12:55 AM, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Legally Blond??? Mrs. Doubtfire?? and both ahead of Spinal Tap, Blues Brothers, or The Holy Grail? That was a real downer.

Movies left off: Top Secret if a contender, and "Coming to America" is under valued.

 
At 2:15 AM, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this list is made up to sell dvd....give it ten years and
half these titles will be missing

 
At 7:48 AM, May 30, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Gwynne, this is just more proof to me that making up lists is primarily done to fill 3 day weekends. And seriously, what credentials does Bravo have to pick the "Top" anything? They're just a tv channel.

That said, there are some funny movies in there. And some unfunny ones.

 
At 9:38 AM, May 30, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, thanks to Tivo, there was a lot of fast forwarding, but still...what I noticed then was it's very hard to distinguish between the commercials and the broadcast. You may notice I changed my Top 10 a bit after sitting through that marathon. (Oh, and when I tried Googling the list beforehand, your site did come up in the search results, hence the hits you are getting)

...if you think that South Park and Airplane are lousy you should be shot

So shoot me. ;-) One is too vulgar, the other too slapstick (although I will admit that Airplane was chock full of spoofs that were probably funnier to those who are fans of the disaster genre). And I debated slapping the "@" on Clerks...this came about after Bravos critics made several comments about having to be under the influence to fully enjoy the film (that, and the characters)...I've not seen it.

I think this list is made up to sell dvd

That was one reason I decided to keep track of the list, but I agree, many are not keepers, so I'm not sure I'll use the list for future purchases. Eric's recommendations are more reliable. ;-)

Beth, after spending the day watching first, the "Real Housewives of Orange County" marathon, and then this, I have to question their credentials as well! I've not spent much time in front of the TeeVee. I went to bed last night with a headache! ;-)

 
At 1:49 PM, May 30, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

Tommy Boy and Uncle Buck were also left out. Its definitely rigged. hehe.

 
At 2:00 PM, May 30, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, you were right about the hits today. My word! Surprising so many people are interested in seeing this.

Emma, thanks for stopping in! Tommy Boy and Uncle Buck are both funny movies. I suppose there's no pleasing everyone with this list, but you have to wonder how they went about their selection process.

 
At 5:39 PM, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if anybody's ever seen the movie Clue, they would know it belongs on that list. I mean any movie with Madeline Khan, Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Michael McKean, Lesley Ann Warren, and Eileen Breenan is just meant to be on the list of top 100 funny movies. I think Bravo really needs to revist this list and edit it

 
At 9:23 AM, May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No list will ever be perfect, but:

Slapshot at #89 is criminal. Maybe I'm biased as a hockey player, but that movie is flat-out hilarious.

Meet the Fockers? I saw Meet the Parents and liked it. I saw Meet the Fockers and thought it was one of the worst movies I ever saw. The "humor" was so forced and probably was driven by studio execs instead of competent writers.

I never saw Legally Blonde, but I remember seeing the previews and not wanting to. I can't imagine that movie is even a hundredth as funny as The Big Lebowski.

Just my two cents... thanks for reading.

Oh, one more note - Flirting With Disaster is not really a "stoner" movie, despite the scenes involving LSD. I thought it was very good.

 
At 3:06 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:07 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Flirting With Disaster is not really a "stoner" movie, despite the scenes involving LSD.

Hmm, I wonder what constitutes a "stoner" movie then. ;-)

Personally, I really liked Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke, but there's no doubt that's a "stoner" movie. One doesn't have to be a stoner necessarily to find humor in a stoner flick. Just my 2 cents. ;-)

 
At 6:20 PM, May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trains, planes and automobiles?
The History of the World?
Spaceballs?
Major League?
Uncle Buck?
The Great Outdoors?
Vacation Christmas?
Tommy Boy?
My Cousin Vinny?
Up in Smoke?
Comming To America?
Rush Hour?
FLETCH???!!!!!

this list is terrible. you do not put ace ventura ahead of blazing saddles. South Park was funny, but no where near Airplane. Sherk should be where Vacation is. The Producers was okay, but not drop-over-dead funny. and Animal Hoouse is not #1.

This should have been the top 10, or at least this top 10 wouldn't have caused as much to-do.

10.The Naked Gun Series
9. Napoleon Dynamite
8. M*A*S*H
7. Stripes
6. Trains, Planes & AutoMobiles
5. Vacation Series
4. Animal House
3. Caddyshack
2. Airplane
1. Blazing Saddles

11.The Jerk
12.There's Something About Mary
13.The Wedding Crashers
14.Fletch
15.Spaceballs
16.Monty Python Series
17.Cheech & Chong Series
18.Birdcage
19.3 Fugitives
20.Major League (just a bit outside)

 
At 8:56 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Anonymous, well, now, see, I would contest putting Airplane and the Naked Gun series in the Top 10 while Monty Python is at #16. Plus your list leaves out 8 of the top 10 funniest movies of all time. ;-) To each his own. :-)

 
At 1:58 PM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did leave out the Hot Shots! movies, and i appologize for that. I would probably bump Napolion Dynamite from the top 10 and put those movies on there.

 
At 5:57 PM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted something on this list at my site. It's absolutely terrible what Bravo did. A fucking monkey could have done better. In a word...horseshit

http://www.trikenit.com/considerthis/

 
At 6:11 PM, June 02, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Nick, while I appreciate your comments, I would also appreciate if you would refrain from using foul language around here. Thanks!

 
At 9:21 PM, June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I think it's pretty pretentious of Bravo to not post the list on their own website, I appreciate the fact that you were willing to sit there and document it for us funny movie enthusiasts. I agree with most of your takes on the movies...except for Airplane!! You should give it a chance.

 
At 12:17 AM, June 03, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Granted, it's been a long, long time since I saw Airplane (in fact, I think that might have been when it first came out), but I really, really have no desire to see it again. How about if I up it to 2 stars? Is that better? ;-)

I think Bravo knew better than to post this on their own site. ;-)

 
At 1:49 AM, July 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Spaceballs? And Shrek and Peewee's Big Adventure are way too high ranked.

 
At 3:43 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Hey, I'm just the messenger. There are many problems with this list. ;-)

 
At 2:21 PM, July 04, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Super Troopers in this list? Cmon, that I would have to say is one of the if not THE funniest movie ever.

 
At 8:54 PM, July 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou for putting this list up. It was fun watching the show, but it happens to be one of the worst lists I've ever seen. "Trading Places" and "Dumb and Dumber" make my top 5, but here they are at an insulting 74 and 75, almost 30 spots behind "What About Bob?"(how is that even on the list)!!!! "Wedding Singer" at # 8?!? No Spaceballs or Coming To America? Personally, I'd put up "Easy Money" too, but its kinda obscure. Something About Mary funny, but not nearly as funny as "dumb & Dumber". Here's my Top 10 (not sure about the order): Naked Gun,Dumb & Dumber,Trading Places,The Jerk, Monty Python Holy Grail,Blazing Saddles,Spaceballs,Ace Ventura 2, Caddyshack, Animal House.
This list isnt written in stone, as there are numerous movies at or near this level of funny, like Young Frankenstein,Happy Gilmore, Kingpin,Trains Planes,Coming To America,Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (not even on the list),Three Amigos and a host of others.

 
At 3:06 PM, August 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay how is tommy boy not somewhere on this list!!?!?!

 
At 6:49 PM, November 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the funniest movie I ever saw was PORKY'S.

Remember that from late 70's early 80's. I dont think I ever laughed so hard in my life...of course I was a young teenager then.

 
At 2:41 PM, February 07, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok i dont understand how the hell u could put napoelan dynamite on this list i hated that movie i sat through it and never laughed once

 

Post a Comment

<< Home