Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Accounting Triage

I hate to leave another "Near Death" post up for the duration of "tax season" although it does speak to my current state of being. For those who do not want to listen to my whining, leave the room now.

We are now in what I affectionately call "Triage" mode. If your issues are not life-threatening (really, when is this ever true of accounting issues?), do not call me or stop by my office! Period. [slams door shut and proceeds to blog...what's wrong with this picture?!] I've had more phone calls today from clients whose matters have nothing, nothing, to do with their tax return. They have all started with "I know you're really busy right now, but..." What is that supposed to mean? But what? But I'm not really that busy?! You mean, you'd like to discuss that stuff about your deceased brother, Elmo, who never filed a U.S. tax return in all of his years abroad? Now?! The stuff I tried talking to you about back in December? I'm not listening. LaLaLaLaLa. I have work to do, really, I am busy! Panic attack busy! And even if I were listening, I cannot process a cogent thought at this point unless it has to do with your tax return (and even that is sketchy...for anyone reading this, know that you're not getting the best quality time with your accountant the week before 4/15). I'm about to blow a gasket! I really don't want to work this Easter, but it's iffy right now.

Ahhh, heavy sigh. I feel better now. In the meantime...random thought...

I need to figure out how to put a dog photo roll up, like Eric and Rachel (at Life Being Beautiful) have on their blogs. For now, let me introduce you to Smokey...isn't he precious? :-)




Update (more ranting therapy): And another thing. Don't call to ask "how are you doing on my taxes?" They are not done yet. When they are done, I will call you. Until then, they are not done. For every call like that, I am interupted from doing your taxes (or someone else's) and it takes all the fun out of it for me. I know when the due date is. That's my job. If you're so worried, then bring them in earlier next year, like Lyndon does. Thank you!

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smokey? Is she (I'm guessing based on the necklace) an Aussie? What a beautiful dog!

Not that I'm ignoring your accounting troubles. Really, I'm not! It's just the dog, you know...

Isn't this the time of year where what Eric referred to as "creative accounting" kicks in?

 
At 7:27 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks for comiserating with me, Brian. Sort of. ;-) The creative accounting juices are definitely not flowing right now. You know what it's like to work without sleep.

What a beautiful dog!

He, He, thanks you! Yes, he's an Aussie. He's a great dog! I have a special love for all herding dogs for some reason. They're smart and hard working but loyal and loving all the same. And great with kids (especially if you need someone to babysit...their instinct for herding is amazing).

You can see why the sketch you posted reminded me of my own dog (is your dog a Collie?). I gave this photo to my mom to paint his portrait.

 
At 7:55 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

Hey, you've been sympathizing with me but as bad as my work situation may get over the next few days, I definitely will not have to work Easter. And I hope you won't have to either.

Do you have a window in your office? Can you do a little primal scream therapy out of it?

 
At 8:04 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Jim. :-)

Regarding the window situation, do you really think they'd allow us to open our windows? That would just be asking for trouble. We're liable to jump. There is a balcony up on the top floor though. Hmmm...

 
At 8:28 PM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is a beautiful Dog!!! If you'd like, I could put in a random photo thing for you. Give me an email if you'd like me to.

 
At 8:47 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Ooh, that would be awesome, Rachel! I'll wait til after Easter though. Thank you so much! :-)

 
At 7:13 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Oooh...pretty dog! Or I guess I should say handsome dog, but still...pretty. :) My girls are Shelties (Yay for herders!) and their mom (they're half sisters) was blue merle, actually I think their dad was as well even though they turned out tricolor, they were the only tris in the litter...ANYWAY, the blue shelties look a lot like him. I think. Do Aussies have a "blue" and is he one or do they all look like him?

Hmm. I think I need more parentheses in there. :) Sorry, it's been a long morning. Big hugs on the tax stuff. We did ours on my birthday, so I kind of feel your pain. :) But I only have to do my own.

Here's an interesting thought - do accountants do their own taxes, or do they hire an accountant cause they're too busy doing other people's?

 
At 10:47 AM, April 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"he" ... oops. And you said that above the photo, too. Don't mind me, I'm just here to look at the pictures... Sheesh.

yes - our Louis is a mutt, with a significant portion of border collie in him.

 
At 10:48 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks for the hugs, Beth. Yeah, accountants usually do their own taxes (because of their control issues, you know). But mine is always last. I will work up the extension for ours on Monday afternoon. :-)

Yep,Smokey is a blue merle. Aussies come in all colors just like the Shelties do. And we've had one of each, I think. :-) My dad has a blue merle Sheltie...they're beautiful dogs too! You've gotta post a picture of your puppies sometime!

 
At 10:58 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian, Smokey doesn't mind being called a girl once in awhile. Just don't make it a habit. ;-) Our first experience with this breed was a dog we got at the animal shelter that was a border collie "mutt" also. He was so smart and well behaved that we became enamored with the breed(s). Then my husband did some painting work for an Aussie breeder and traded services for dogs (I didn't realize he was working for dogs until he started bringing them home), but it turned out alright. ;-)

 
At 11:27 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I'll see about getting the girls to sit for a photo shoot this evening (actually, I have a bazillion pictures already so if they won't cooperate I can post an existing one.)

Hee! Will work for puppies, hm? :)

 
At 3:56 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Princess Jami said...

Good ol' Brooklyndon. :-)

Smokey IS precious. Aw...

 
At 9:42 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Jami!

"Brooklyndon" There we go! ;-)

 
At 12:46 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks for coming by. I'll let Smokey know how cool he is. I welcome your comment about the address...I wasn't even thinking about that! I don't have or know how to use photoshop, but hopefully, nobody is compelled to track me down. ;-)

I managed to stay away from the office yesterday. I did check email and voice mail, but not much work. We worked hard so that everyone could have Easter off. Today is just fires and last minute extensions. A big relief! All that whining for nothing. Well, there was the therapeutic aspect, I guess.

 
At 5:20 PM, April 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Maybe your clients are reading your blog...

Yeah, maybe. I hope so. That was the intent of all the whining afterall. I can't just come out and talk like that on the phone, you know. Much better to broadcast it on the worldwide web. ;-)

 
At 11:23 AM, April 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late to the game here, but Smokey is gorgeous!

Here's hoping you're getting to catch up on rest now that it's all about (I'm guessing) finishing up extensions and ammended returns.:-)

 
At 6:00 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Jennifer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home