Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I Am An American Typewriter

For lack of anything else in my life worth posting at the moment and for fear of not upholding my end of the "post almost every day" mantra, here's some filler...

Typecast Yourself!

And there's a lot of truth in this. One, I really miss the old typewriter days when midnight oil was spent using special typewriter erasers and later, special white out paper and later still, wearing out the correcting ribbon before the black ink ribbon ran out. And I do tend to the simplest, most classic of fonts when given a choice.

I am fascinated by the 1920s era when many self-exiled Americans lived in Europe. Some interesting literature, music and art came out of that period, but I don't have a lick of Hemingway memorized.

I do have several black and white photos integrated into my decor, but they are not of Paris.

I love using the word "davenport." My grandpa is the only person I know who ever used it on a daily basis. And that is what we called the couch whenever we were at his house. It sounds so "high society" to me. I don't use "haberdashery" but maybe I will now. I do use "hooligans" though, another word from Grandpa, usually prefaced by the words "a bunch of."

I've only recently discovered mojitos and wondered where have these been all my life? Rum mixed with lime juice and mint leaves. What's not to like? But I haven't developed the discriminating taste that would require that I send it back for re-mixing. Not yet anyway. ;-)

And I love, love, love summer hats and linen ensembles...

Exhibit B

So American Typewriter it is. What font are you?

Via Rachel, who is Comic Sans...poor thing. :-)

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, February 14, 2008, Blogger beth said...

When we take our blogging friends tour to New Zealand, you and I will have to go to their Art Deco city. I know Tim would go...but he wouldn't appreciate the wonderfulness of it all...I think, perhaps, you would. :)

And what's not to love about davenport and haberdashery? Though a good haberdasher is hard to find these days.

 
At 9:51 AM, February 14, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Oh, you're right...I would absolutely LOVE the Art Deco city! Chicago is almost that to me.

a good haberdasher is hard to find these days.

Heh. An unfortunate casualty of Walmart. ;-)

 
At 2:53 PM, February 14, 2008, Blogger Rae said...

Come soon hehe! I'll have a pull out couch for you guys to fight over tomorrow hehe!

 
At 3:18 PM, February 14, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Leave the light on too, please. ;-)

 
At 3:29 PM, February 14, 2008, Blogger Jenn said...

I'm American Typewriter too, dad gum it..

 
At 12:52 AM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Emma, we're soul sisters, I knew it. Only you're probably one of these while I'm one of these. ;-)

 
At 6:59 AM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Sisiggy said...

I'm yet another American Typewriter. I'm beginning to feel trite. When I look up the birds at my birdfeeder in the bird book it always says something like, "common feeder bird." Never "exotic and rarely-seen." That's how American typewriter makes me feel. Except linen wrinkles. I'd always wear a linen blend. And I look silly in hats. So there.

 
At 12:17 PM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Sisiggy, the very fact that you own a bird book and wear linen blends is incriminating enough. ;-)

And the American Typewriter has become a very rare species, so we've got that going for us. :-)

 
At 5:19 PM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

I quizzed out as American Typewriter as well – ironic, since I haven't been able to locate a truetype version of it for my Windows machines. Although I'm comfortable with this result, I think that 28 Days Later or Kurrent Kupferstich would have been better fits.

 
At 5:23 PM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Foo said...

Oh... and Underwood 1913 is pretty sweet, too.

 
At 6:55 PM, February 15, 2008, Blogger mis_nomer said...

I had to look up the meaning of davenport and haberdashery ("the goods and wares sold by a haberdasher" duh).

 
At 12:06 PM, February 16, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, I like Underwood 1913...that looks like every term paper I ever typed.

Mis Nomer, so haberdash must be what the haberdasher sells then. At the haberdashery. ;-)

 
At 8:43 AM, February 18, 2008, Blogger beth said...

Gwynne - on a side note (mostly unrelated, but every time I use one I think of you now) - have you seen the Tiffany stamps? They're quite lovely and even kind of make me feel like sending mail, outrageous prices notwithstanding.

 
At 11:35 PM, February 18, 2008, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, no, I haven't. I'll have to ask for them next time I'm in the post office. They sound lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home