Monday, July 17, 2006

On How I Met My Husband

This is for Rach and Beth. The rest of you might want to skip to the next post. ;-)

I’ve never been much of a romance reader, let alone a romance writer, so this will be short.

It was a dark and stormy night.

No, no.

It was a bright and sunny afternoon. Halloween to be exact.

I was wearing a pink linen jacket with lighter pink shell underneath, and a long grey pleated linen skirt, by Liz Claiborne. And pearls. And grey suede pumps.

Details are important, no?

I was at work in San Luis Obispo, CA, minding my own business, when I received a phone call from a friend. Said friend asked if I would like to meet him and his buddy for lunch because they were close by my office (my friend was trying to break into the real estate business and was busy delivering pumpkins to folks’ doorsteps with a note to give him a call if they were interested in selling their home, an odd marketing technique for which I never heard the results; he had solicited help from my now-husband to deliver pumpkins, since this is rather strenuous physical labor for a realtor). “Sure,” I said. So off I went.

I was recently single (this short statement obviously has a lot of back story behind it which I choose not to go into at the moment) but was not searching for a husband, or boyfriend for that matter. He was also recently single and not searching for a wife or girlfriend. This was just supposed to be lunch with friends.

He had a thick Croatian accent and I had to work to understand him, but we swapped travel stories for a long time. He was once a Merchant Marine and left Croatia when he was 14 to travel the world. He’d been everywhere. Of course, I inquired about how he’d come to America and all of that. He first came to San Francisco through an agency that sponsored people to come to the U.S. for work, and then to Beverly Hills where he worked as a chauffeur and domestic help for the stars (Cher, Gene Hackman, Zsa Zsa Gabor, etc.). There was a lot to talk about.

Well, we had so much fun at lunch that they asked me if I would like to go to a costume party that night. “Sure,” I said. So after work, I went to the thrift store. The quickest, easiest thing I could put together was a witch outfit. So I went as a witch and my now-husband went as a sailor/pirate, and some things have not changed much since then. ;-)

We had a fun time at the party and became inseparable right away. He had 2 very young girls (6 months and 2 years old) who were living with their mother most of the time and these are the teenagers that I am helping to raise today (they lived with us full time for 13 years and moved back with their mother last year for a trial period which has not gone well; they return soon). We have never had any children together, by God’s will, but I believe that all things work out for good and there is a reason for this, namely 2 young girls who needed as much love as we had to give.

The End.

10 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger beth said...

See? That's a good story. Details and all - though are you still that preppy? Cause it doesn't fit my mental image of you. Pearls! Liz Claiborne! Oh my. :)

 
At 10:20 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

...are you still that preppy?

Heh. That was pretty preppy for me, which is why I threw it in. It was 1990, so for me, I was just catching up with the preppy 80's. Always behind, I am. ;-)

My WV = "ygagu" Hee :-)

 
At 11:10 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Ok. As long as it was just a temporary thing, cause otherwise I was going to have to, lamentably though it was, mock you for quite some time to come. :) I never could pull off preppy - I tried, oh how I tried, but my Coca-Cola shirt with the collar up and "not-quite-guess" jeans (but darn it, they had a triangle!) only got me additional ridicule in jr high. Ah well. I found I liked the skater kids better anyway. :)

 
At 11:17 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Heh. I hear you. I pretty much lived in overalls and flip-flops in jr high and high school...but the 80's was college for me and I was too broke to afford the latest fashions, nor could I pull it off. I tried the sweater over my shoulders once, but that didn't go over so well. My (what I thought was a) boyfriend mocked me. ;-)

 
At 1:19 PM, July 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good story!!! I like stories where a chance meeting turns into something so good...there's something so "meant to be" about them.

 
At 8:43 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Great story Gwynne - Thanks for posting it! I really enjoyed reading it!
But what a wonderful account of how God works in lives in ways we can't fully appreciate until we look back. Here here!

 
At 10:57 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Thanks, Jennifer, Eric, Rach! :-)

True enough, about that looking back stuff. ;-)

 
At 10:59 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Jenn said...

awww, and yes, details are important

 
At 2:44 PM, July 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your story,
but its not over, so you need to strike "the end" part

 
At 6:56 PM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Good editing, Susie! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home