Sunday, July 15, 2007

What's Your State's Dinosaur?

I just learned something new today.

A while back, Eric posted about various State Symbols but what I didn't realize at the time is that my own state of Missouri has more State symbols than any other state. Among them, the official State Dinosaur. And it's not a politician. ;-)

We also have a State Grape, a State Aquatic Animal, and a State Tree Nut. As opposed to just a State Nut.

This is why I claim to be from Kansas (even though I currently reside just across the state line, in Missouri), a much more down-to-earth state (pardon the pun) and home of the Harney Silt Loam (aka the State Dirt).

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, July 15, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

That's kind of cool, actually. A quick Google revealed that the official dinosaur of Texas is the pleurocoelus, a bit of trivia that I find strangely unsatisfying. "Tyrannosaurus Tex" would have been more apt, IMHO.

 
At 6:43 AM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Since we don't have states, we don't have things. Makes the Kiwi an easy thing to to remember as being our one and only mascot though!

 
At 12:24 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

"Tyrannosaurus Tex" Heh. Perhaps you can submit a proposal. ;-)

Rach, but you also have the "All Blacks" (whatever those are). ;-)

 
At 3:39 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Jenn said...

I don't have one but I've been on a dig when I lived in a town close to Fruita, CO. Does that count?

 
At 3:39 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Jenn said...

PS. I'm not in Hawaii, I'm in the 'other' state without a dinosaur. Bummer.

 
At 8:45 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Emma, I know I don't need to tell you this, but digging for dinosaurs in someone else's state does not count. No. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home