Saturday, June 30, 2007

Siberian Surf Rock?

Um, yeah...ever heard of The Red Elvises? I had not, until last night. Some friends, feeling the need to "repay" us for sharing my unused ticket to see Martina McBride bought tickets to last night's showing at Knuckleheads. I'm almost embarrassed to say I had a good time. The Red Elvises (I insisted on calling them Elvi) proclaim to play "Siberian Surf Rock" ("Kick - Ass Siberian Surf Rock" if you must know). They are something of a melting pot, a la B-52s, Surfaris and Russian folk. Wikipedia refers to them as "Indie Rock." All I know for sure is that these folks like to party, and they do put on a good show, especially for the men (their keyboardist is a cute, petite little thing who heats up the dance floor with her dance moves, while never missing a beat on the keyboards or squeeze box, whichever she happens to be playing). Here's a link (Rocket Man) to one of my video clips, although there are much better ones out there...here...and here.

And for something completely different, last weekend, we saw Tab Benoit at my insistence. Tab is much more my taste in music and a fine guitarist at that. Here are a couple clips from that show...I apologize in advance for the very poor quality, but if you like his style at all(Zydeco/Blues/Swamp Blues/Country/HOT! ;-), then I'd suggest you buy up all his CD's. We first saw him when he was just getting started in the mid-1990s and I, for one, fell in love instantly. He's grown into a fine, fine musician. That's all the review I have time for, but I hope you'll check him out.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, July 01, 2007, Blogger Foo said...

I like your taste in music!

 
At 4:32 PM, July 02, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

I have to admit that my first thought was, "a bluesman named Tab?!" But, he's the real deal!

 
At 12:09 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

Foo, are you a Red Elvises fan? Or Tab Benoit? Or both?

Yes, Eric, he IS the real deal! Why is it that all good musicians hail from Texas and Louisiana?

 
At 10:36 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Lyn said...

What about Abba. Does that classify as Indie? :-)

 
At 11:02 AM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

GT, I've really never quite figured out what exactly is Indie Rock, but am quite certain that ABBA is not a part of that particular genus. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home