Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Non-Book Meme

I've been tagged by John B at Blog Meridian, with an unusual (and as it turns out, difficult) meme. The task, it seems, is to identify...

"Things which one has read and has been influenced by which are not confined to those paper-bound vessels of the printed word we refer to as books. Let's call these Non-Books. Or maybe Impossible Books. Or Limen Books? It's up to you. List five."

Limen. Go look it up. I had to. ;-)

Now, I take this to mean, things which I have "read" other than books, but the responses given by previous, uh, responders (including the creator of said meme) includes many things involving other senses and mediums besides that which may be "read." And while I can embrace their creativity and thinking outside the box, I am going to take a more literal approach and list things which I have actually "read" other than books. Here goes...

1) The back of the Cap'n Crunch cereal box, which promised me the much desired Secret Decoder Ring (you think children are not heavily influenced by what is promised on the backs of cereal boxes everywhere? Think again. ;-)

Okay, seriously...

2) Messages to and for loved ones on the AIDS quilt panels which I visited not long after losing a good friend to the disease.

3) The letters "U N" on tanks and trucks along the roads of Croatia during my first visit there; I felt at once comforted to know there were alleged "peace keepers" among us but also extremely vulnerable.

4) This piece of the Berlin Wall, on display in Eureka Springs, Arkansas:


5) And finally, this postage stamp:


And now, I will tag 5 people to see what they have to say on the matter...I've picked those who seem to be particularly in a blogging funk, but anyone is welcome to play along. :-)

Foo

Jim

Eric

Brian

Rachel

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, April 22, 2007, Blogger John B. said...

Thanks for playing, Gwynne. I think you stayed within bounds.

 
At 4:01 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger beth said...

Cool. Clearly my funk is not showing. :) Plus, I don't know if I could really do this one. Will ponder and post if inspired. But I like your choices.

 
At 6:57 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Gwynne said...

John, staying within bounds is what I do best. ;-)

Beth, your funk is not showing, but apparently the others are in such a deep funk as to be completely oblivious to being tagged. ;-) I would love to see your responses.

 
At 7:30 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Rae said...

Don't worry, I'm not oblivious hehe. It was on my saved to do list - I just needed a few free posting days! It will be the very next thing I post - promise!

 
At 10:23 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Eric Siegmund said...

I'm not ignoring this, as it's pretty intriguing (and your choice are aces, by the way); I'm just mulling it over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home