Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Like Anyone Cares...

The artist behind The Tourists is Duane Hanson. I've seen a few of these sculptures lately on art crawls and in the museums (both of our big museums have "a Duane Hanson") because apparently there was an art dealer in town back in the 70's that talked a few collectors into buying Duane's work. They are fun but startling. As described at this site, "Hanson describes the masses, their loneliness, their isolation and despair, with deeply sorrowful humour." Very true. As interesting as his technique is his choice of subjects and accessories. It's always about the accessories, isn't it?

The one I showed you earlier (don't make me link to it) was created in the 1970's and the owners actually have to wash their clothes and clean their hair from time to time...and I think I've got housework! Sheesh!

There is what looks to be a fascinating Duane Hanson exhibition up currently in Doylestown, PA, halfway between Pottstown and Trenton, at the James Michener Art Museum. Those of you living in the area (*hint* Jim *hint) really ought to check it out.

3 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, September 20, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I was curious...but boy I don't want to have art that requires maintenance like that!

 
At 7:37 AM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

You've no idea how many times I've thought about moving to KC. And now I'm thinking New Mexico doesn't sound too bad either.

My wife however, she may have some other ideas.

 
At 10:33 AM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, I agree!

Jim, I'll have a talk with your wife. I think I could present a pretty convincing argument. Of course, being close to family where you are is important. Next time, I hope you can bring Joy with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home