Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Jump On The Blog Wagon"

I'm a tad late getting around to reading my June issue of Journal of Accountancy. I'm sure you've all read it already, but let me recite for you the "key principles to ensure that your blog becomes an asset, not a liability" from the above referenced article. Please note that I am not making this up. This is the real deal. Copyright laws being what they are, I can only give you the highlights.

Rule #1 - Make your goals clear (I did this at the outset of my blog...if you weren't around then, read post #1, or don't. Really makes no difference to me. Goals? We don't need no stinkin' goals!)

Rule #2 - Determine metrics for success (I've said from the beginning that I would not count anything...metrics already rule my professional life; why would I use metrics here???)

Rule #3 - Make sure you can deliver on the client expectations you set (I think first we need to agree on who is the client here, you or me?)

Rule #4 - Consider the byline; in whose voice does it speak? (um, if you all are hearing voices other than my own, please inform the authorities)

Rule #5 - Establish editorial limits (no cussing, that's all I ask)

Rule #6 - Make sure the writer has the necessary knowledge to make your blog compelling (ahem! I'll be sure and have a talk with said "writer" ;-)

Rule #7 - Keep a watchful eye (check!)

Rule #8 - Monitor external participation and usage (what you all do outside of my blog is your business; I assure you there will be no monitoring going on)

There you have it. Rules to blog by. There's a good reason why I don't read the Journal the minute it lands in my mailbox. Next up...FASB Stmt #156, Accounting for Servicing of Financial Assets!

5 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Oh good. So if I receive a parcel from you, it will not have a hidden camera in it then? What a relief hehe!

 
At 11:06 AM, August 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUH?
what the heck

i just blog. i just write down stuff. i don't care if my customers buy it. unless i add a t shirt line?

 
At 7:59 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Annie578 said...

We're supposed to have goals? Why didn't somebody tell me!

 
At 9:51 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

goals? metrics? editorial limits? whoa..

 
At 3:14 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

I've forwarded Eric's note on to the JoA. What the world needs now is not a bunch of goal driven, editorialized, measured accounting blogs! Sheesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home