Sunday, July 30, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Today, we celebrated my step-mother's birthday. She is a gourmet cook and so we wanted to treat her to something extra lovely for her birthday. Here is her birthday cake, straight out of Bon Appetit (or not?). It is called Kitty Litter Cake. You could call it something more appetizing, but Kitty Litter Cake by any other name is still...well...delicious! Mmmm. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. ;-)


And what do you get for the woman who has "everything?" Well, here is what we made for her...a river...of glass. "We" is a little generous. Mostly "we" includes Dad, the architect, artist, and designer on the project, also the primary source of manual labor. The "kids" mostly just whined and sweated a lot and chipped in some dough. Dad had to finish the project. He is an awesome Dad!!

12 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

What does Kitty Litter cake consist of?

 
At 7:05 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Is the river of glass big, smooth chunks, or sharp shards? I just know if I had something like that in my yard, I'd be in bloody ribbons all the time.

 
At 11:00 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rach, the cake is crumbled white cake, chocolate cake and cookie crumbs with some green food coloring mixed in, vanilla pudding to bind it all together, and melted tootsie rolls for special effect. ;-)

Foo, it's neither really...more shard-like than I expected but not very sharp. I don't think you'd want to walk bare foot on it. It also gets very hot! The burn factor might be more of an issue than the sharpness factor, for their animals' sake.

 
At 7:26 AM, July 31, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Oooh - pretty! (Not the cake, the glass river. The cake looks fun though :) ) I really like the bowl next to the "river" too - what a fun present!

 
At 12:35 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing your step-mom has a good sense of humor! (Re: the cake) Still it sounds yummy, especially because chocolate is involved.

Gwen

 
At 12:57 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Fortunately, yes, she had her best sense of humor turned on yesterday. It could have been a real disaster otherwise!

Thanks for dropping in, Gwen. :-)

 
At 1:58 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes something like chocolate to get me to delurk LOL!

I'd love to have the recipe to share with my Siamese Cat club. They would think it was hilarious.

Gwen

 
At 3:37 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Hey, whatever it takes. ;-) I can't believe this is my first post about chocolate. I need to work on my content. ;-)

I've added a link in the post directly to the recipe. It really is tasty!

 
At 8:47 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

River of glass looks awesome! The kitty litter cake though, hmm... :)

 
At 11:37 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, that is kind of creepy. i dont know if i could eat that unless i was blind

 
At 11:51 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Yeah, we all had to close our eyes to eat it. ;-)

 
At 12:10 PM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The river is very pretty...would never work at our house. All of those pretty rocks would wind up inside my house in my boys' rock collections!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home