Monday, July 31, 2006

It's Like an Escher Print

I really think it's time for me to become the Wal-Mart greeter that I have aspired to be when I finally grow up. Just getting to my office has become problematic.

This morning, I arrived at work in the usual manner, parked in the garage, walked into the lobby, got on the elevator (ever since I moved from the 3rd to the 4th floor, I've started taking the elevator instead of the stairs; this greatly diminishes the amount of exercise I get, but that's another post), got off when the elevator doors opened, began walking to my office and wondered why all the cubicles were now occupied by different people, and why someone else's furniture was in my office?!

Before realizing that I was simply on the wrong floor, I wondered why nobody told me that I'd moved. Or had I been terminated? There was that GAAP research I used Google for on Saturday afternoon, in order to win a valuable prize, but I don't think that constituted real grounds for termination (although using Google to do accounting research was probably the beginning of the end for Ken Lay). I felt like I was in a dream (notice I did not use the word "nightmare").

I began to recognize that I was on the 2nd floor and while embarassed, did not admit this to anyone. I decided to trudge up the inside stairwell two flights, carrying a boatload of stuff (computer, purse, briefcase full of client files, etc.). I figured I could use a little exercise. After trudging up two floors, I was huffing and puffing and noticed that the next flight was a set of emergency fire escape stairs to the roof. Hmmm, the roof is actually on top of the 5th floor, not the 4th. So I quickly turned around and went back down a flight. Hrmph! Since when has the job of just getting to my freakin' office become so difficult??

This would have been embarrassing if anyone knew I did all this. Please don't tell. ;-) I think I need a vacation!

8 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

Oh dear!!! I've done something somewhat similar minus the stairs...Got my timetable at high school wrong and walked into the wrong classroom and got told off for being there. Didn't want to admit that I'd done something dumb so pretended I'd wanted to borrow something LOL.

 
At 11:35 PM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't tell? you just told the world wide web. and before too long, when you get famous for this blog, all your work friends will know. what then.....

 
At 11:49 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rach, glad I'm not alone. ;-) These things happen, right?

Susie, I'm not terribly worried about that...the getting famous part anyway. But trust me, I won't say anything here that I plan to keep a real secret from my work friends (or anybody for that matter). ;-)

 
At 6:45 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger beth said...

Oh dear. You know, I've had days like that! Can you blame it on the heat? I have been blaming any number of things on the heat lately (and it looks like I'll have a long string of days ahead in which to continue that excuse. Yay. Or Not.)

I just moved from 9 to 6 in my building and just about every other day I go up to 9 and then have to get back on the elevator to go down to 6. Thankfully the 9th floor is empty now so there's no one to see. :)

 
At 8:15 AM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry...we won't tell...

Yesterday I went to my discussion group for the summer class I'm taking - ready to go to the mat to get the professor to let me take the test I was supposed to take on Saturday (the building was all locked up).

Uh...ok. The test was available to be taken yesterday and the discussion group meets today, not yesterday.

 
At 11:37 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Foo said...

Oy. And vey.

I have mornings when I'm not quite sure how I got to work, but I don't think I've ever gone on a stairwell tour of the premises to get there!

 
At 4:31 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger LZ Blogger said...

This reminds me of a time I was so preoccupied with what I had to do when I got to work, that I didn't realize that we had moved our office (weeks) earlier, until I actually got there and my lock didn't work on the door. Talk about being OUT OF IT! ~ jb///

 
At 9:59 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Beth, yes, that's it. Heat. And the heat index here has been over 100 for days, weeks even. The brain is fried! Not that I've been out in it much, but still. ;-)

Ellen, see? More proof that we're all in this together, right? ;-)

Foo, I've had those moments also. It's easy to get lost in "concentration" on the way to work and forget how you got there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

LZ, okay, that is really bad! I would never do something that bad! [yeah, right]

Eric, thanks for that little bit of affirmation. Yes. I was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home