Thursday, May 18, 2006

Zero Percent Midwestern?!


















Your Linguistic Profile::


60% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
15% Yankee
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?



You see, I grew up in the Midwest and live in the Midwest now. I'm a little puzzled by this result. They never asked what you call the sofa or couch. My grandpa always called this the "divan." He was from Kansas. I've never heard this word used in other parts of the country. But I'm happy to see that I've gotten rid of most of the Southern (Dixie) roots. What's this "General American" category anyway? That's so generic and boring. Notice there is no "Western" category where we said things like "like" a lot, or "gnarly" and "totally awesome." There were no Valley Girl or Surfer phrases in the quiz, so I think we can assume California (my home for 17 years) was left out and is lumped in with "General American." Okay, so this quiz gets bad marks from me for not being more definitive, but it was fun.

Props to Jen, who is only 35% "General American"

3 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't overlook your 15% "upper midwestern" - which, I assume, means "Minnesotan." And I'm not sure where "midwest" ends and "yankee" begins, unless "yankee" means "Bostonian."

See, if you interpret the results a little, you can be up to 40% midwestern, if you want.

 
At 8:13 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Brian, I love the accent of Minnesotans (and North Dakotans for that matter). I think the term Yankees is reserved for anything north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Ohio River. I'm not sure where I picked up 15% Yankee because I've never lived in that region at all.

 
At 10:33 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I put my results over on my quiz results blog but I am not really sure what it all means anyway lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home