Monday, May 08, 2006

Mmmm, Banana Cake!

Rachel mentioned Banana Cake recently and I'm sure her recipe is superior to this one, but this one is easy and delicious. I made one just for us Saturday night. There's only a little bit left. ;-) It's so delicious in fact that we used this recipe for our wedding cake. Bear in mind that there were only 7 people in the church for our wedding and I made our cake myself. I'm not sure this cake would translate to a true wedding cake, one that keeps for several days and serves hundreds, suiting the needs of Wedding Cake Nazis everywhere, but it's definitely suitable for a dinner party or a quiet weekend of yardwork and self indulgence. I can be a bit of a food snob, and generally steer clear of recipes that rely on packages and mixes, but I stand behind this one (go ahead, poke fun, but do try it).

1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Supreme Banana Cake Mix, oil, eggs
1 sm pkg Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
1- 8 oz pkg Cool-Whip
2 cups milk
3-4 bananas

Make cake according to package instructions.

Make frosting by mixing pudding, Cool-Whip, and milk in a bowl and refrigerate while the cake bakes.

After the cake cools, slice each layer in half so that you have four layers.

Frost each layer, and layer sliced bananas on top of each frosting layer, reserving 1/2 of the frosting for top and sides.

That's it. You end up with a torte-like cake that is beautiful and delicious (unless you don't like bananas).

For pot-lucks or anytime you want to simplify it further, skip the layering and bake the cake in a 9 x 13 pan so you just have one layer of frosting and bananas…still good, just not as impressive, but easier to serve. This is how I had it the first time, but then I added layers for more banana-y taste. Enjoy!

8 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, May 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. Sounds yummy. May have to try that for the BBQs that are approaching!

 
At 8:41 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger mis_nomer said...

You had 7 people at your wedding and you baked the cake yourself? Wow...

 
At 9:08 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Jennifer, hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Mis_nomer, weird, I know. I believe all the wedding hoopla is a little over the top. I've said it before, "simplicity" really is my motto. All you need are the participants, the witnesses (my parents in our case) and the minister (and God, of course). Don't come to me if you ever need wedding planning assistance. ;-)

 
At 10:03 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Rae said...

I'll definitely have to try your recipe only we don't have a lot of variety in packet mixes here sadly... (Just so I can officially tell whose is better :P ). I'll have to send you the recipe to Jiffy pudding one day - You are sure to love that!

 
At 5:29 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Eric, this might not be your cake. Just get yourself a bucket of Cool-Whip then...good enough. ;-)

 
At 5:31 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Rachel, please hurry! Send the Jiffy pudding recipe. ;-)

 
At 6:50 PM, May 09, 2006, Blogger beth said...

I'm with Eric...especially if it means I get plain ol cool whip instead. Bananas are...well, Eric put it best: Ick.

 
At 9:42 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger Gwynne said...

Which is why we didn't invite you guys to the wedding. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home